Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Given

Reaction score
Just joined. Hope to find answers. I’ve driven boats for 40 years. This Nitro 288 Sport I bought is used and in great shape for an 06. It came with most of the documentation but not the owners manual. Maybe my questions could be answered there. In the meantime, I’m here. Thanks in advance.

Thank you!

I called that number. It’s Bass Pro.

They were nice enough to give me the Nitro/tracker #.

417-873-5900

They were very friendly. They’re emailing a generic manual. The rep wasn’t sure what years it covered.

It’s a start at least!

Not very helpful. It’s a “generic” Nitro manual for non-specific years.

They were prompt, and they told me it would be generic before sending it.

I’ll check with the dealer about a fuel vent. It takes 20 minutes to fill the tank because you have to go so slow.

I can’t imagine this was ever acceptable. Fueling at a dock is laborious. On the trailer I can at least shift my stance. Still pretty bad.

Check the fuel filler hose or vent hoes. If one of them is hanging lower than the top of the tank that can cause filling issues. At least that's what I discovered

Welcome and good luck

You may have found your answer but I thought I would answer about your fuel vent issue. Could you post a picture of your vent where it comes through the hull? My boat has a threaded cap on the vent line that has to be removed while filling. I have never seen such. I still have to go slow as the fuel can pump in faster than the tank can vent but it is nearly impossible to fill it without removal of the cap.

Also, like what was said earlier, check for any kinks in your hoses.

Hope this helps.
This is what mine looks like. That tall cylinder has to be removed to fill the tank.

20220105_102818~2.jpg

Thanks C. The boat went into storage in November and I asked the shop to check it out.

I have a Fish n Ski style hull and access to underneath is a bit tough.

There’s a vent adjacent to the filler spout (probably the same for a majority of boats) and what appears to be a screened vent adjacent to the motor well.

I’ll be sure to hunt this down with more commitment when I grab the boat next month.

Thank you for chasing this thread down and offering advice. Greatly appreciated!

Not very helpful. It’s a “generic” Nitro manual for non-specific years.

They were prompt, and they told me it would be generic before sending it.

I’ll check with the dealer about a fuel vent. It takes 20 minutes to fill the tank because you have to go so slow.

I can’t imagine this was ever acceptable. Fueling at a dock is laborious. On the trailer I can at least shift my stance. Still pretty bad.
I have had to turn the pump handle upside down to fill mine up. Wouldn't go in at all holding the handle correctly.

When I turn the gas pump handle upside down while filling my 2001 targa it allows the air in the gas tank to vent past the gas pump handle and still shut off automatically when full

Latest posts

Back