New Member with New Nitro Z7

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boat4life

Reaction score
I just joined this site after reading posts for a while as a visitor. Just want to comment that I have owned several bass boats in my 58 yrs and decided to buy a new boat this spring. I purchased a 2013 Nitro Z7 in Beaumont, Texas in April and maybe I got lucky because it has been awesome. I read on several sites negative comments about Trackers and Nitros, so I wasn't sure if Nitro would be considered as one of the boats I buy. After looking at a few major brand names(I've owned most), and comparing Nitro, I really liked the styling and features on the Z7 very much. I've fished from the Z7 since April and it has been great in every way. The Mercury ProXS is very impressive and sips the gas. I love all the storage and the removable passenger console. Hopefully it holds up well and I get many years of enjoyment from my Nitro. Look forward to reading and commenting on this site.

welcome to the site. I like my Tracker 175TF I bought in April also. Course I've only had it out 3 times so far. Been laid up most of this year for one ailment or another - and it SUCKS. Show some pics when you get a chance. Use to work out of Beaumont office (narcotics) back in the mid 80's. Sabine Pass, TX I was real active around that area (boats, helicopters etc) all along the coast to Brownsville and Florida coastal areas. I love fishing brackish marshes.

Here is a picture of the Nitro this Spring after bringing home.

Attachments

• DSCF2127.JPG
    DSCF2127.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 1,990
welcome to the site. I like my Tracker 175TF I bought in April also. Course I've only had it out 3 times so far. Been laid up most of this year for one ailment or another - and it SUCKS. Show some pics when you get a chance. Use to work out of Beaumont office (narcotics) back in the mid 80's. Sabine Pass, TX I was real active around that area (boats, helicopters etc) all along the coast to Brownsville and Florida coastal areas. I love fishing brackish marshes.

Bought a 175TF last December as well. Been a great started boat - Just have to catch more fish!

DR

Thanks everyone, so far I've had good luck with everything and caught a lot of river bass from my new Nitro. I'll tell you a brief story about a past boat purchase of mine. Back in 1995 I bought a new Tracker Pro 175 with 40 hp outboard. Back then the Tracker had rivets and a modified V hull. All I heard from folks was how big a mistake I made and should have done more research before buying that Tracker. It was a great fishing boat for many years with no issues and I even caught my largest bass from that rig on Rayburn that weighed 10.5 lbs. I know people have issues with products and have legitimate complaints but I want to also let folks know about the owners who have been satisfied with their purchases.

That same model now is welded. Only gripe I have is finding all those metal shavings under the front deck. They could have at LEAST vacuumed. They thought I was gonna wait until my warranty was out before I looked? :eek::p They didn't know me :cool:. Man those Nitro's are nice but I figured my wife would stroke if I brought one of them home. She almost had a tizzie when I brought this one home :rolleyes::D. It took her 2 days before she saw it behind the Nitro I have now.

Welcome aboard, I just bought a new Z7 this spring haven't had it on the water but 3 times work is killing me lol. These guys on here our fantastic and so very helpful. You'll love this site.

Most NITRO bashing is due to other people trying to justify why they paid more for their boats. Granted, NITRO's of old had a higher than acceptable problem rate but considering the numbers that were on the water I do not think it was as bad as it seemed. It was always "My brothers, nephews, best friends, sisters boyfriend..had a problem" . They have stepped up their QC in the recent past. Tracker also puts out bare minimum packages that fit the general fishing population and after you upgrade to premium stuff, you are in the price range of other models. I had a 929 for 11 years that I guided out of and that boat did everything I asked of it and more. If NITRO had a pro-staff program that fit my needs, I would still be with them and happy to run a Z9.

Charles -
That same model now is welded. Only gripe I have is finding all those metal shavings under the front deck. They could have at LEAST vacuumed. They thought I was gonna wait until my warranty was out before I looked? :eek::p They didn't know me :cool:.

FWIW - The aluminum hulls are blown out and even inverted numerous times during production in the Tracker plants before final detailing and shipping. What happens is that some of the shavings hang onto cross braces, get wedged, etc., and the bouncing and vibration of transit and use on the water shakes them loose where we inevitably find them en masse in the bilge and other collection points in the hull. It is common across most all mass production boat lines including the glass boats. Just wanted to share some insight I've witnessed in the plants and the dealerships. Good luck! ;)

Any chance we'll see some picks of the your new Z7?

Sweet looking boat. I bought a used 2009 nitro 901. I'm happy with the boat. I've had no issues. I hope you have none. You will enjoy it I'm sure. I wish people that have issues would get them resolved. Seems tracker never thinks there is a problem. I wonder if other companies do the same.

You should have bought a Ranger and spent an extra $20000 so people could say...he's got a Ranger...whatever. I've owned 2 Nitro's now, read a lot in chat rooms in the process about what to buy and why, and I can tell you the brand's improved enormously and the economics are even more in their favor than in the past (ie sheer capital and numbers largely from BPS).
AND------ All I can say is that it's guys like you who know what they're talking about....you have a great boat AND for the money a great value.

Welcome!

You should have bought a Ranger and spent an extra $20000 so people could say...he's got a Ranger...whatever. I've owned 2 Nitro's now, read a lot in chat rooms in the process about what to buy and why, and I can tell you the brand's improved enormously and the economics are even more in their favor than in the past (ie sheer capital and numbers largely from BPS).
AND------ All I can say is that it's guys like you who know what they're talking about....you have a great boat AND for the money a great value.

Welcome!

Easy on the Ranger comments Bro:p:D

IMG-20130908-00228.jpg

I will say there's no way I would have bought this rig new. Too much$$ and like I said before if Tracker had a pro-staff program that fit my needs, I would still be with them. My Ranger experience has been the same as my NITRO experience....both very good.

I will say that with the extra $$ you pay for in a Ranger, it comes back to you in customer service. I have an 8 year old boat and soon after buying it I discovered I had a cracked weld on 1 of my axles. Called Ranger and this is what I got.....at no charge......

IMG-20130504-00096.jpg

2 fully dressed axles....hubs, bearings, races, and spindles. I don't know if another manufacturer would have done this but Ranger did for the 3rd owner of an 8 year old boat. $$ well spent? You decide.;)

Well you got me on two points. First, Ranger service beats Nitro for sure. I had gelcoat imperfections (whitish through black gelcoat) and used 200 0 sandpaper to see it was oxidation. Not. So sent pictures to Nitro. They refused the claim because it was a demo boat before I bought it from BPS in Concord UNDER A NEW BOAT WARRANTY(Jamie McMurry had put 60 hrs on it)...not sure what that had to do with anything????.

Second, Ranger's are better made IMO. For one thing, they've got a traveling cover which won't quit, but it's beyond that. My comment was that Nitro's value for the $ is better. So if you have the money to spend, and that includes well maintained used Rangers, they are better made. Isn't it true that, for the most part, Nitro, Ranger, and other brands assemble other's parts and you're mostly getting what you pay for...if you buy carefully>

You bet. I've got the same components on my Ranger that you do on your NITRO. The difference is when those parts malfunction out of warranty, how do they take care of you? I hear a lot of "NITRO no longer carries" statements but I hear Ranger owners getting parts for 10-20 year old boats. There are very few "unique" parts to either brand. Most noticible is the hull. My Z boat has rail latches that are not the same as any other. Unless you are very in-tune with the manufacturing process it's hard to define what "made better" actually means. Quality of materials? Manufacturing process? Quality control? The old "chopper gun" debate has been put to bed, stringer placement and material is pretty standard. I know Ranger likes to use a lot of foam in the process. Factory installed rigging tubes? Answering the which is better debate is a personal thing. Cheap up-front usually means a cheaper resale down the road with anything you buy. Like I said, I had very few problems with my NITRO and I bought a Ranger that needed a refurb from the trailer up. Both have been a good experience.

Thanks for digressing. I judge Ranger's outlook is service the ole fashion way...here today...here tomorrow. I get it. Fits my style since, like you, I take care of a boat like my first car in 1966....clean and wax and put away.

Originally, I shopped for a used Ranger, got sticker shock, then ran into a new 2008 901CDX at Cincy BPS in 2011 for 25% off sticker (financial crisis led to inventory build-up across the country). Used it for one season and loved it, but elders warned me my 150HP Opti was an underpower problem and I developed a confidence problem. Last Fall I got struck with the Z9 bug jockied all Winter until I picked up Jamie McMurry's 2010 Z9 demo when he returned it to BPS in Concord, NC.

I've had several warranty problems with Nitro and, though I truly love the boat, I'd gladly put Ranger on the other end than Nitro after your comments. Thanks for taking the time!

Latest posts

Back