New Loomis Rods..........are they freakin' NUTS?!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
MSRP for the new NRX series ranges from $450 to $500. As they say, you get what you pay for.

uuuhmm..I disagree,....sorry Loomis fans,..but $500 for a rod is just stupid!!:blink:

Carry on..

$200 is the most I've ever spent and I don't notice that much of a difference between those and the ones in the $100-$150 range. $500 is ridiculous.

...and so is spending $500-600 for a shimano spinning reel.....they DON'T float either!

Talk about floating; I lost a Legend Tournament Rod and a new Stradic reel in St Clair this year. The thing sank faster than an anchor....

Puts a new perspective on spending that much $$$ on a rod and reel.

You want to talk freak'in nuts? My son just had HS Senior pictures taken and the super duper proud parent picture package costs a mere $899.99. Yes, eight hundred and ninety nine. Or you can get the "not so proud parent" pack for $749.99. Or the "my kid means nothing to me" pack for $549. Or the "Hey, he's adopted" pack for $249 all the way down the "I would have rather had a new hunt'in dog" pack for $49.99.

ROTFLMAO at va chris!

You are right on! You spend all that money so your child can give them all away to friends that are going to LOSE THEM!

Tex

You are neglecting the fact that 93% of the record fish were caught with the most expensive tackle on the market at the time caught ... :wacko::lol::wacko::lol::wacko:

Here is the confession of a "rod snob" (NOT)! Several years ago, while fishing draw a partner walleye tournaments I purchased three Berkley Cherrywood Rods to set up for amateurs assigned to me (we supply all equipment). Well, I tried one... and, I fell in love with it setup with Fireline (8lb)... for jigging with live bait.

I now have several of these $24 rods for jigging and rigging with spinning gear for walleyes...

I have trouble spending over $50 for a freshwater rod. The most I've paid for a rod is $90 for a semi-custom pier king mackerel rod. Unless a lottery hit is in store for me I won't be in the market.

Chris, you think that is bad just wait until you start paying for college books. Mine are about done- finally, baloon payment due in November (last wedding).

I use Kistler rods and don't understand why someone would need any lighter than that. For $500 I expect the rod to take the boat out and catch fish by itself.

Imagine how you feel after stepping on one of those.

P

hey cabelas has Carrot sticks in their bargain cave for $89 regular 150 and a quantum $229 for $79. to me thats a good deal.

OMG..I vote for VA Chris's as the "funniest post of the year".....LMAO!!!:wub::lol::lol:

I'll second the va chris nomination!!! That was some funny stuff!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I've got quite a few Loomis rods (some after Shimano's purchase and many from before when Gary owned them) and the quality is definitely top-notch. That being said, I would not spend $300-$500 each on them with the addition of many quality mfr.'s in the market today. The Loomis price had always included the best lifetime warranty in the business, which is what factored into the pricing. (Break it, send it, and a new one's on the porch in days.) For years with BPS I witnessed first hand the customer abuse put on that warranty by ceiling fans, tailgates, rod locker lids, etc., all claimed under warranty when customers sent them back in. It had to plateau at some time and now the cost adjustment (replacement through warranty and/or Expediter Service) may take many customers out of their market. I'm hoping the thought process behind the up charge will reduce the client

I dont care how much you pay for it, its still gonna break like a $50 stick!

After working for a rod company, I know too much about them. I wouldnt spend over $100 for a rod unless it was a custom blank built to my specifications.

I am EXTREMELY happy with the line up of Bass Pro rods. JLM, ProQ and Extreme rods do everything I need them to do and more!!!

I cried when at Guntersville I broke in half my Pro Qualifier rod ($50 on sale at the BASS Classic) not because it was a $50 rod, but because it was my ONE S&T hand marker rod! Sniff Sniff, she's now up in my office on display. Oh and it broke because I stepped on the middle rod, it broke the middle rod guide and obviously weakened the rod. It was my fault so its now a trophy!

Eli and I do each have the GLoomis Shakeyhead rods (approx $250 each retail), very nice and as long as I don't step on them or close the rod-locker lid on them we should be good for years to come!

But i got a great deal on those rods, and won't spent more then about $50-75 on rods normally.

Try some John Miles custom rods I have two, paided $125 each and as good as any Loomis I have fished or seen out there.

I dont know if it is still true.....but it USED to be that if you bent your Loomis past 90 degrees you voided your warranty!

how many people have their rod bent more than 90 degrees and how does Loomis know if yours was????

They make a great blank no doubt, but I cannot believe how many people think that you are missing fish because you didnt spend $300 on a rod.....

Okay,......you drop $500 for a rod,........and for some reason it breaks. Here is what you're faced with:

G.Loomis Rods: covered by a limited lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship and materials

The GLoomis factory will inspect the rod to determine cause of breakage.

"Your word is not good enough,...only WE can tell how/why it broke":angry:

For Damage determined to have occurred due to defect, GLoomis will, at the company's discretion, either repair or replace the product at no charge.

"Yes,...we make mistakes too,..and we'll replace it IF we think it's our bad,...but chances are,..we DIDN'T and it's YOUR fault" :eek:

Damages occurring due to neglect, accident or normal wear and tear will, at the company's discretion, be repaired or replaced for a specific fee.

"We will REPLACE your $500 rod for...ohh,..let's say,..$100.00,...you're getting a new $500 rod for $100,...you feel GREAT about it,..and you basically just BOUGHT another rod for the material's cost" :rolleyes::eek: "Oh,..by the way,..we'll also let you buy as many replacement rods as you want for the rest of your life,..we don't care,..we stand behind our stuff as long as YOU PAY US to replace it!!" :wub:

A full estimate will be provided for your approval before any fees are levied.

"If you don't agree with our assesment,...then you can keep your broken rod or merely BUY another one"

For warranty claims:

Ship the damaged rod in a disposable container, prepaid and insured, along with a completed copy of our Web Warranty Return Form.

OKAY,.....I'm NOT bashing GLoomis rods....I'd love to have one just to see what all the hype is about,...but please,....you gotta PAY them for the replacement and it's up to them to determine the "reason for the breakage??!! GEEEE,..how many times are they going to say, "Yep,..it's OUR fault,...here's your new rod,..oh by the way,..you still gotta pay for he shipping!!":(:wacko:

I don't get it........:wacko:

Heard it many times ... the rod makes the man ... :wacko::lol::wacko::lol::wacko:

I thnk the warranty charge is $50 mac. or am I wrong?

I know it used to be....no matter the rod. Guess how much it costs to build one? You guessed it. they didnt replace anything, they sold you another one at cost!

I thnk the warranty charge is $50 mac. or am I wrong?

Their warranty remains unchanged as it has been and as many others are.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventional/support.html

This is basic and pretty much standard verbage used throughout the industry as many here are familiar with.

SAC/Loomis also offers an Expediter service to hasten the process on a one time basis for $100, no questions asked. (Used to be $50.)

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventional/service.html

Not comparing price, quality, etc., just comparative warranty info food for thought:

https://basspro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/basspro.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=65&p_created=1101746159&p_sid=UI5PQn7k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzAsMzAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1yb2Qgd2FycmFudHk*&p_li=&p_topview=1

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN AMERICAN ROD.... with a great blank and built in system...I HIGHLY recommend looking into RPM RODS..*rick morris rods....he sells them on the Bass ELITE series....and through the RPM website....his price is GREAT...and his method rods allow choices MOST manufactures cannot compare with...RPM RODS......:cool:

Latest posts

Back