New graph units?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I am replacing my console unit this year with one with a little more juice and resolution. I am looking at the Lowrance X125 or X135. The 125 has 2400 watts and the 135 has 4000. Now I know the more juice, the stronger the signal especially at high speeds etc. But I'm not running in 1,000 feet of water at 50 knots looking for schools of tuna down 300 feet. Would I see any real difference by going down to the 125. I would think it would still read fine for the waters I fish. My X47 just doesn't cut it.

Mac....Mini? Whatcha think. Any techies out there got some solid evidence why I should fork over the extra cash or should I follow my gut and just get the 125?

I have heard both sides of the argument, so you kinda have to decide for yourself...

1. too much power can be a bad thing, especially in shallow(er) water... I'm thinking they mean that in less than 10 feet you'll end up with an ugly screen.

2. not enough power can be a bad thing, especially when running... but this can aslo be a factor of "ping speed" (something the new lowrances let you muck with).

3. More Power == better target seperation, regaurdless of depth.

I went with the LMS 480 over the eagle version for the extra 1600 watts of power... You can allways turn down the sensitivity/pwoer, but you cant "go to 11" on a unit that only goes to 10.

Rob why doens't your X47 not make the grade? I just put one on the front end mid summer last year and it works good for me. Deep water is about 30-40 foot in my area.

fatrap

It doesn't hold the signal at WOT. I have an X87 up front and it's great. They don't make them anymore though. The 47 is an older version. It works fine at lower speeds, but at high speeds or in rough water, I loose the signal too much. Plus I want more resolution for idling over deep water cover looking for bait fish, schools, etc.

Oh Ok. I use mine off the troller and it's fine. I have an older X something I forget. Cost about $400 dollars about eight years ago. It does everything even plays "Anchors Aweigh Me Boys"

fatrap

Go with the 125 (between the two mentioned). You will never be able to use the whole 4K of the 135 in freshwater. Screen to screen, they're twins, except for the backlight color (amber-125 / white-135). You might want to buy some more tackle with the extra bucks and be none the worse for wear. IMHO

I'm looking at the Eagle 480... Any comments...

Greg - I believe, dollar for dollar, that the 480 (Fishmark) is the best deal going across the board of sonar builders. For under $200 ($189 BPS on Sale Now!) you get great resolution and easy menus. (Yes, they do retain their memory on power down as well.) If you like the GPS features, you can bump up to the FishElite for a couple hundred more. (approx. $450 not on sale) They are both excellent units! I've tracked a 1/4 oz. jigging spoon in 60' without missing a stroke displayed on the screen of the Fishmark. It's the best deal for the money. IMHO

Check out the Bottomline 320 & 480 MAX units. I just got a 320 and it is awesome. Huge screen and great detail.

Latest posts

Back