New decals on the way, advice needed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Got some new decals coming from Iguana Graffix, need some advice for the cowl...I pulled the old decals off, cleaned it up real good, but not sure best way to prep....paint is still in great shape, but dull around where old decals were...will wet sanding and buffing bring it to life, or does it need painted?

Thanks,
Eric

Oh and you'll find a list of materials for buffing, polishing etc that will be a little on the pricey side, but boy, does it put a shine on when you get it prepped good.

Thanks for your response....I've got the sandpaper, now I'll check on some of the 3M products.

If your only talking about the cowl, it's not gelcoat, just paint. Go very light or you'll be through the paint before you know it. Before you go near it with any sand paper, just try a little buffing compound, it's usually abrasive enough to cut the surface layer then it's just a case of polish. If you need to sand at all, use no corser than 1200, wet n dry sanding wet.

Yep, I had just assumed he was referring to a fiberglass section - my bad.

Thanks for the advice guys, last question....when I get it all buffed out, should I wax it before or after I put on the new decals.

Thanks again,
Eric

Wax after installation and curing for proper adhesion and long term durability. Good luck! ;)

No sanding was needed....hit it with some compound, looks like glass...thanks, Dan, that's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks all,
Eric

Give it a clean with a dry spirit before applying the decals, something like, Prepsol, Wax & Grease remover etc. Thought the compound would be plenty, wait till you polish it now, it will be better again. ;)

I used goof off after I removed my old stickers and then wiped clean with glass cleaner then some soapy water and applied new stickers turned out great just dont get in to big of a hurry

Latest posts

Back