New DC Gun Control Silliness

• Thread starter Greg Meyer [URL]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-d
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
I don't know what else to call it.... "Silliness" seems so appropriate.

The DC "powers that be" refused to register a gun because of it's color... Yup! "COLOR"...

Read the article for yourself... The gun was silver and black... They would only accept that make/model if it was some other colors....

The DC "DOPE" said he was confident that that rejection was permissible under the 2nd Amendment. Where or whjere has our political sanity gone. Feels like a Monty Python sketch... Rejection by the Minister of Silly Walks and Gun Colors...

If this were not so sad it would be hysterically funny.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/09/AR2009030903240.html?sub=AR

Seems to me Peter Nickles made the most cogent comment.

I don't see the link to the Second Amendment; details lacking in that regard so it would be hard to apply any level-headed thinking to that aspect of the incident.

If the regulation is supportable IAW current laws, etc, then perhaps the lady should have bought a gun on the approved list. Then again, someone should probably have staffed the list before it became the "bible" by which all guns are registered.

If one is a proponent of gun registration, then one needs to make sure the system doesn't do goofy stuff like this.

If one is a proponent of gun registration, then one needs to make sure the system doesn't do goofy stuff like this.

Marty, if the goal was registration, you'd be correct. But, as the gun lobby has often pointed out, behind every registration scheme there is a deeper agenda. The idea is to set the bar as high as possible, so people won't bother to get over the bar, and give up their gun rights in the process.

Just as with the city lawsuits againts gunmakers for the consequences of criminal conduct with guns, it was never about who bears responsibility for the consequences of a crime. It's about making gun manufacturers come to court with expensive priate lawyers, to fight it out with taxpayer paid lawyers, until it becomes too expensive to be a gun manufacturer.

We're only talking about civil rights. When the legislature and the courts cease to be on your (inane/idealogical/dogmatic) side, just make stuff up and see what sticks.

I just guess I can't comment on gun control without getting a lecture. :lol:

Yes, I understand everyone's various underlying agendas and it makes sense; why would anyone want gun registration simply to be registering guns. :wacko:

Clearly though, if one's intent is to actually get gun control and registration is one of the means, then idiots doing things like this undermines the gun control/registration effort.

There is no supportable argument for a list that restricts color. You can get license plates for your F-150 unless it is two tone? Any law, ANY, has to have a rational basis. And, any law that would restrict the exercise of a right defined by one of the first ten amendments has to be drawn as narrowly as possible. Just read the US Supreme Court decision in Heller v. DC.