New Boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger 519

Reaction score
The wife finally gave in, I plan to buy my first boat within the next couple of weeks and have decided on a Nitro or Tracker. My top three are the Nitro 750NX DC w/Mercury 115, Nitro 700LX DC w/Mercury 90 and the Tracker Pro Team 175 w/Mercury 50. My favorite is the 750NX DC.

I'll try to keep this short but I realize I need to provide you guys with some background if you are to help me so here is my situation.

Been fishing for 25 plus years mostly banks and a couple times per year from a friends boat. I have very little experience managing and handling a boat. I will be fishing mostly by myself (My job is more flexible than fishing friends) but my wife or a friend will join me occasionally. My family and I do not enjoy recreational boating so if I am on the water I am fishing. Must be able to store boat in my garage which is three car...very strict HOA. I would like to do some tournament fishing and will eventually join a fishing club in my area. Price of boat is not a major consideration but I am only considering boats under 18' due to factors above.

I like the look of glass but should I go with tin for my first boat? If I went with glass, 750NX or 700LX, should I move to the smaller 700LX?

I realize there is an ongoing debate on glass vs. tin but if your situation was identical to mine, what would you do? Also, if you think I should be going in a different direction for my first boat please share your thoughts.

Greg, I'm a tin owner,(2002 pro Deep V 16), went with tin as my first new boat, for many reasons, and am happy with it, when the day comes to buy another new boat, it'll be a Tracker or Nitro, not sure which. I don't want this thread to slide into a tin vs. glass debate, ALL 3 models you're looking at are great boats, and all 3 I'm sure would serve you well.

A few things to consider, which may not differ much with the 3 you're looking at, would be, (at least in my case) package weight, tongue weight, garage fit,STORAGE on the boat,boat layout, etc.

I don't know much about the 2003 Nitro's, but I'll bet you get some good feedback from some Nitro folks here. Same with the Tracker owners, in the end, I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you pick. Good luck shopping! egMike

p.s.- great point made about the width too, Dave

I have a 2000 PT175 with a 50. It does 31.8 GPS loaded. I bought it used, but if I had bought it new I would have gotten MAX HP (75), but most likely tried to go with a PT185 with AT LEAST a 90. Going with a 115 for the first year kinda would scare me. Visions of the 150hp equipped TV-18 comes to mind before they changed the transom.

Greg,

Some food for thought. I had a TX-17 (tin) with a 45hp, It served me well for ten years, sold it in October and I am sure it will continue to serve the new owner well. In December I bought a 700LX and love every minute I'm on the water and the ride between the two is nite and day. Not that I am any bit lazy but I find myself wiping the boat down when I get home,making sure all the smudge marks are off. Where as the tin boat I had I would back it in the driveway take any papers out and cover it up. Also with the 700 I am constantly afraid of scratching it. Where as the tinboat I went any place and could beach it if the ramp was all tied up and I would go get my car. Weigh all your options out and good luck.

Bill

Greg,

I have a 2002 750nx dc 125hp...

I like the boat but:

Casting deck in front is a little small once you throw a couple rods down and add a pedestal seat...

strap down area for rods is too short...

rod lockers are too short...

weight dist is wrong -- by the time you add a couple of batteries for trolling, fill the live well, fill the gas tank, and sit down .... all the weight is aft of the center of boat=long time to plane...

just some thoughts...

Since $$$ is not the issue I would say go with the biggest that will fit in the garage.. You can not over power your boat it is much better to run at part throttle than to be at WOT and cusssss cause you are not going fast enough. That was the left side of my brain. The right side says start small and work your way up.. Both sides together would say it would depend on the local water you plan to fish the most... Bottom line.. Find a dealer first then pick the boat.. Ask around.. There is a place here for dealer feedback.. Being your first boat I lean toward the 175 you know start small and work your way up.. You can do everything you posted in the 175 and then some..Just get the biggest engine you can..My TXS17 runs 40+ and after 3 years I am ready to step up..

BF

Now to really stir it up!

I bought my BassCat Sabre because of those same reasons (garage) your looking at an under 18'. It's only about 21' with swing away tongue and you can load it with a 175hp. Plus (and a BIG plus) better warranty and manufacturer to deal with any issues!

Check them out, you might find it's the best way to go....

Tom

Tin is a good starter boat. but with the 50hp on it, you won't be satisfied with the performance. if money really isn't the issue, get more horsepower. i just sold my pt185 and upgraded to a nx882. i love it and especially the 60+mph gps that it can dish out. go with the nx882 if you can.

bryan

I agree with Greg. The NX882 is a lot more boat for the money. I would however go with the 150 HP EFI or Optimax if you are planning to water ski. I would also upgrade the TM for those windy days. If price is not an issue and you can fit the boat at an angle in your garage or in your back yard, like me, then the 901 is a great boat. Recently purchased a 901 and it has the room, speed, and especially ride (which was a top priority with me) to meet most needs. Looked very hard at the 882 before I made my decision and I'll never be sorry.

Latest posts

Back