New 750 owner with a fueling question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean P

Reaction score
Finally picked up my new 750 with the 115hp motor. Spent the hour reviewing all of the bells and whistles. Was told to add a quart of oil to the tank with 6 gallons of gas. Stopping at the local BP is where things went awry. Got the oil in with no problem. Slid the nozzle in and pulled the lever only to have gas come roaring back at me and all over the side of my new boat.

Quickly used the window washing solution and some rags to wipe that up (soapy water when I got home) anyway, I could not find the angle at which the fuel pumps nozzle fit into the intake. Maybe I just didn't push it in hard enough, anyone have any insight? The gas stations don't do full service anymore, so I am going to have to figure it out sometime.

Dean-

Did you try it with the gas handle completely upsidedown?

sometimes works...

Can you see your fill line by looking into the compartments? This way you could get an idea of the twists/turns that it's taking...

az

SLOW DOWN....Blowback is a problem in most all boats, that being said check and make sure your fuel tank vent is not plugged. What motor do you have that you are adding oil directly to the gas or "double oiling". That's been discussed here and pretty much been a no-no.

TOXIC

What andy said to try helps. I also found it helps to no go full blast on the nozzle, try squeezing it like halfway. Also when fueling pop open the back hatch so you can see how mych gas is in the tank. The closet it is to full the greather the chance it will do what it did to you. On my 882 i have to turn the handle up and watch it close while pumping slow. It takes forever to fill my 40 gallon tank without having it spill.

Many of us have been in this situation. There is a dip in the vent hose that collects gas that sloshes out of the tank. The gas in the hose blocks the flow of air during fueling. I tried several fixes that didn't help. I finally realized that all I had to do was remove the vent cap and blow through the vent to force the gas back into the tank and clear the hose. It works like a charm.

Pucker up.

Frank

Dean, being a new boat owner you had no idea that before you re-fuel you should check to make sure that Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are in perfect alignment and the moon is in the 3rd quarter and the Cubs have just won the World Series. ;>)

The fact is that, to my knowledge, all boats do that. I think they aren't vented as well as cars & trucks. There seems to be a fine line between having the gas blow out like gusher and spending all day at the pump. Like Andy said the upsidedown pump handle helps along with patience my friend. Good Luck!!

Harpo

Thanks all, I'll take a look at the routing and go slower next time.

Frank, I can honestly say that there has been a lot of touching since I brought it home, hadn't considering kissing and such.....

Toxic, I haven't looked through the owners manuals yet, the person at the service center told me that was part of the break-in process, that was the one thing he said that I wrote down, then he was nice enough to give me the quart of oil to add.

Tox, on the carb motors you still need to double oil on the break in. The Opti's are nice enough to do it for you because of the computer controlled oiling.

I have a 04 750 also, the hole is kinda at an odd angle, its point toward the transom at an angle, not straight down, I just start slow and if nothing comes back up onto my shoes, I depress the gas pump handle a bit more. I have not had a problem as you described on my 750, although I did have that problem all the time on my 700LX.

Enjoy the boat, I have the same setup and love it. I am running a 24" Laser II, WOT one person you should be in the area of 56 to 58 MPH. Great boat, great ride. congrats and welcome to the club.

When I picked up my 901 w/200 EFI, my dealer instructed me to add oil to the first full tank of fuel (57 gallons).

RoyC

I just got a '04 750 w/115 merc. Brian is right on, you have to point the nozzle towards the back almost parralel to the ground and shouldn't have any problem. Enjoy it!

Dale

Latest posts

Back