New 1997 Nitro w/115 he motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Johnson

Reaction score
New to me that is. I recently came upon a 97 Nitro with a 115 hp motor. My step dad had inherited it from his grandfather and neither used it. It has maybe 6 hours on it total. It's clean and in great shape and runs like a beast. I needed to have some minor work done on the motor because it had been sitting for so long and I replaced all the straps, fuses, etc. I'm still not sure how to winterize it. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I'm glad I found this forum!

On an outboard, really not much to do http://www.bassboatcentral.com/winterizing.htm
Don't know what part of the country you're in, but I don't remove my batteries - I leave them on the charger (newer Noco) which keeps batteries in float mode if it doesn't need a charge. On my boat, when I installed a water pressure gauge, I added a T valve so I can drain the water prior to winter season. One thing they didn't say - LEAVE THE MOTOR DOWN - do NOT tilt it back up. This lets water/snow drain and doesn't allow it to collect and freeze.

Now prior to using it for spring, there's a LOT to do for prepping for a season hassle free startup. Water pump impeller change, lower unit check to verify everything is good there. Fire it up on muffs and let it warm up at idle. Check EVERYTHING, besides the engine, there's a lot to check on the boat. Check all gauges for function, all fuses are good, batteries are good and connections corrosion free including your switches, connections in/around the console, all lights function, horn work etc etc etc.

Since you recently got this motor, and it sat for so long - did you replace ALL fuel lines, filters from INSIDE the tank to everything on the motor. Has the carburetors been cleaned and a sync & link procedure done? Fuel lines deteriorate quickly from ethanol use if you do not get the proper marine fuel lines.

I like Sta-Bil Storage for winter use

22214front.jpg

I also follow this recommendation

Fuel Additive Recommendations:-Stabilize fuel ANYTIME fuel will not be consumed and replaced within 15 days!!!
-Optis (ALL, including XS & ProXS): Quickleen in EVERY TANK OF FUEL. You CAN combine Mercury QuickCare or QuickStor Fuel System Treatment & Stabilizer (or Sea-Foam if you prefer it) with Quickleen. Use the recommended "dose" of each product per the bottle instructions. For anyone questioning Quickleen recommendation- see Service Bulletin 2001-12 (yes, it's been recommended since 2001!!!).
-Quickleen may be used in ANY Mercury engine- it helps to prevent/remove carbon buildup (primary purpose).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Mercury Component Cocktail" (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare per 5 gallons fuel
-1oz Mercury QuickLeen per 5 gallons fuel
(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).

Thanks AirForce. Everything has been goink well.....until today. The wife and I went out this morning to fish a little. I stopped to fuel the boat and noticed a small amount of gas leaking into the bilge. It seemed to be coming from where I put the gas nozzle in. That was problem #1. When I got to the lake, I floated the boat off of the trailer with no problem. I went to prime the bulb and when I squeezed a second time, a mixture of what seemed like gas and water was coming out of the cowl and spilling into the back of the boat. The motor was still trimmed up. That was problem #2. The boat started up just fine and ran like a champ all morning. I noticed that there was nothing coming from the pee hole, but no alarms. When I got it back to the ramp, the winch strap snapped. Problem # 3. No worries...I had an extra strap so I replaced it real quick. On my next attempt at loading...I didn't trust the strap so I over compensated and used too much motor to get the boat on the trailer. I overshot the trailer, scuffed the trailer fender, took a good 1.5 inch chunk of glass out of the bow and knocked my wife over. Everyone is ok....but damn trailering the boat scares the hell out of me. I stopped by a marina and they gave me the name of a good glass guy. They also said it's minor, non structural and can wait until I put it away for the winter. Any insight into the gas leak, primer bulb and pee hole issues? Enjoy your new 45.

I suspect a boat that old will have rotten fuel fill hose, rotten vent hose and everything to the motor is probably rotting from the inside out if you haven't replaced ALL the hoses from inside the tank all the way through to pumps/etc on the motor - you can't skimp on this. Easy way to tell if remove the fuel filter and inspect it for flecks or even chunks of debris. Fuel fill hose, just look around it - did you fill it too full of gas? Trailering doesn't bother me but you do need to know your motor to not give it too much gas to trailer it.

Go through this checklist and DON'T MISS ANYTHING - Don't even shortcut it or you'll be starting over and this WILL include having the carbs cleaned along with a sync & link procedure done - for that, you'll need a Mercury OEM Service Manual - not those so called service manuals that are cheap and generic. Go to this website http://www.europeanmarine.org/partsaccessories.html
and create a login, login and input your motors serial number, look in Service/Support category or Miscelleous category for Service Manual. It'll be the best money you've ever spent. Are you keeping up with your regular maintenance - it could be since you just got this boat it might need a LOT of maintenance that's been missed. ;)

Latest posts

Back