Never saw this before!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
In my years of fishing and guiding I have seen many an odd and peculiar sights, and many change my views on fishing entirely. Saturday was no exception. I was on my way to Southern Lake George for a conference and on the way decided to stop in a little town call Hague where we have our annual Federation opener each year. Lake George is a VERY clear and deep, cold lake. Typical northern glacier lake. The weather has been typically cold but and water temps have been hovering in the low 50's. Just trying to set the stage. Well, this week it was a little warmer than usual and Saturday was a dead calm day with the sun beating down on the water. We all know that during warming trends, fish like to hang around shallows, and sometimes at boat launches. Well since there hasn't been ANY traffic at this launch in some time, about 12-15 rainbow, brown and lake trout decided to sit in the sun on the concrete ramp running in the water and sun themselves. All within 3 ft of the shore or the side of the dock in only about 2 feet of water. The smallest fish had to be 5-6lbs!!!! They were just sitting there! And me without a pole! Now I have seen smallies do this on spawning flats in the spring, but never a mix of trout and of that size. The only fitting word was AWESOME! Anyone else have a story of an event that changed their views on fishing? I have others, but they will have to wait.

Rob

If you had a fishing boat or a fishing pole, you probably would never have seen that sight!!

Had to have been awesome!

Barb

Rob that really is awesome because I have never seen a trout that big let alone that many in one place in shallow water. Makes my fish stories sort of pale. Let see what the others say.

I always keep one of those telescoping rod combos in my truck. You never know what you'll find on your travels.

Trout are funny that way. Early spring and late autum they can be found shallow. We used to catch them on topwater flies...

Yeah we have caught lakers in the spring up shallow mixed in with the smallies, but I have never personally caught either a rainbow or brown that big. Would have been nice to limit out on a mix of trout in less than 5 minutes and the smallest be 5lbs. Trout unlimited eat your heart out. These fish had a small school of bait trapped in about 3 inches of water, and those bait weren't moving!!! go figure. Just drop a rapala in there, oh man! Like I tell everyone, each year that passes, the more I learn and know about and become respected in the world of fishing, I always am taught that I don't know SQUAT! It is a humbling sport. I was so excited seeing those fish it couldn't have been pretty to watch me from a distance. Probably looked insane, standing there staring into the water acting all goofy and jumping around, ALL BY MYSELF! LOL

Latest posts

Back