Need suggestions for adding trolling battery on PT185

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Clayton

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've posted anything here but have been reading since the web change. Finally got serious about upgrading to 24 volt trolling motor but I cannot fit another group 29 to my current 29 and starting battery next to gas tank. I was hoping to be able to put the 29's sideways but only have 12.4 inches and the 29 is 13 inches long, the 27's are 12.7 so they are to long also. Went to the odyssey site for marine application and they did not show any of the yellow/blue top for marine ?? aslo they are very expensive and haven't heard a lot of good from them. Looking for any sugesstions, could move the troll batteries up front but then would loose some storage space and not sure how it would effect performance of boat by adding 80 or so lbs. up front.
Thx Mike

I've got the 2013 PT175TF, you can turn it sideways but use a tray so part of it sits on the gas tank. Rest of the tray will screw down to the metal portion and the strap will also fit. 3 batteries all I can cram in that area. The very back (if you're very limber) you can mount the onboard charger to the stringer support. If you want a battery cutoff switch and a VSR, then get creative and then the Power-Pole pump, now you really got to get creative. You'll have to make a modified mounting bracket. I'm still waiting on my buddy on that but it has to get a little warmer first. So far I haven't thought too much about batteries up front.

Thanks Charles but not enough room to turn group 29 battery sideways, group 29 is almost 13 inches long and I only have 12.4 inches of space, my gas tank is different from your 2013 year, currently looking for battery that is less than 12.5 inches long, have found some but they are high grade and very expensive.....

:):) Charles thanks, the smilies are because I started that thread on BBC also as I did this one trying to get all the comments I can, I'm a member there under the name of rtlgator......

Already have a ton of info from the BBC post I made...... but really appreciate you responding
and yes MikkeeSon

I agree, its even got me curious enough to make room for what I'm wanting to do mod wise so if I wanted to add another power pole and add the accessory battery. But I doubt I'll switch to 24v now. Think I might explore further bow wise of the storage box. I mean I could modify the forward storage box for a battery. Thinking of adding bigger vents too cause those storage lockers SUCK at keeping water out. Only dry spots I have is the storage space under my seats.

Latest posts

Back