Need Shear Pin For MK Maxxum ASAP!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothy Hanford

Reaction score
I broke off my shear pin on my Maxxum 74 lb thrust trolling motor today and am having a hard time finding a place that carries them. I've checked Bass Pro, Cabelas, West Marine and Overtons. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on one quickly! I'll be willing to pay overnight shipping. I am pre-fishing a tourny this upcoming Thursday so it's kind of a rush. Thanks.

As long as you have the pin dimmensions, you should be able to find it here: www.costalmarineonline.com

You should be able to make something if you have too....don't let a pin keep you off the water! Go to a hardware store and look in their "fasteners" section...they usually carry all kinds of stuff that will work,....you could even use a small brad if you have too.......the key here is to "adapt and overcome!".......hahahaha...FISH ON!!!

Mac

I keep a handful of 1/8" pop-rivets in my boat tool kit for a handy sheer pin replacement. Use a pair of dikes to snip the collar/head off and it leaves a nice straight pin that will bend/snap before your prop blade does. Hope it helps.

When I removed my Motor Guide with Gator mount I discovered what looks like a part of the mount in the front really is a piece that holds 2 spare pins and under that piece is a spare prop nut. It is very cleverly disguised! I never knew that it existed. I even later checked the book (always look at the book last) and it makes no mention of it.

Agree Mac. I think you could find a finishing nail about the right diameter and just cut it to length.

Russ

Didn't see Dan's post before mine. Pop rivets sound like the way to go. They won't rust either.

Russ

On the water last year and my son got his line wrapped around the prop. While taking the prop off, the shear pin went for the long eternal swim. I wanted to keep fishing but had no spare pin. ( I actually found two spares on board the next day. But managed to save the day by taking my needlenose with cutters and clipping out a portion of 3/0 worm hook. Not the perfect solution, but kept me fishing for the day.

Thanks for the tips. I made some temporary pins yesterday by using roofing nails. I jsut cut the heads off and used a grinder to grind them to the correct length. Worked like a charm. I called Northern Bass Supply this morning, they carry the pins in a pin/prop nut set and ordered 2 extra sets to carry onboard the boat. The roofing nail will get me by until the correct pins come on Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back