need opinion

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plastic dr

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I want to mount my 90hp Yamaha, or leave the old 40 hpJohnson on my pontoon. We don't ski ,or pull floats. The 40 is fast enough just under 20 mph. Will I use more gas with 90? Help a newbie out.

I manage a pontoon boat rebuild forum at http://www.restorepontoon.com/forum
We get these questions quite often. It would be easy just to say yeah mount the 90hp but there are other factors to consider. You haven't said what year and make is the pontoon or the length of it. 24ft and over there's no restriction on hp rating (other than your insurance company giving you grief later) but under 24ft, you have to go by the rating of the boat. Another factor is based on the year of the pontoon, some have really weak motor pods and won't support much above 40hp.

Yes and no on using more gas, it really depends on how you use it. Larger HP motor can more easily push your toon while the smaller motor would stress more. You also have to consider what size are your toons, the smaller 19in round or U shape (U shape RARELY under 23 in) or the larger from 23 on up in diameter, which allows more weight. Speed wise, you won't notice a lot of difference because pontoons don't get on plane UNLESS you have the newer toons with strakes but that requires a larger motor (good for skiers). You can though pull tubers with a 90 much easier.

What year are these motors?? If the 90 is a 4 stroke then I'd certainly go that route than having a 40hp 2 stroke just for dependability but I admit I LOVE the older evinrude/johnson motors but I've since got rid of the last I had and went with a 60hp 4 stroke for my 20ft 1993 Voyager pontoon. Even my latest 2013 Tracker Pro 175TF has a 60 4 stroke. My 60hp 4 stroke pushes my toon right at 20mph with 2 people on board. I can get 2mph more once I get the underskinning back on the toon so the spray doesn't hit the cross braces and act like a brake. I had a old 115hp Johnson that pushed it to 31mph but it SUCKED gas at 5300rpm but this 60, I can go for days on a tank of gas running it at 2800-3200 rpm (at 16-17mph)

Oh and welcome to the forum.

The boat is a 24 foot riviera cruiser. Both motors are 2 stroke. The 40hp is a 80s the 90 is a late 90s

then I'd certainly go with the 90. Just make sure you service it regularly.

I recently had a 90hp 4-stroke Merc hung on our 22' Lowe Elite Tri-Toon we keep at our FL residence. I bought it with a 50hp Suzuki two stroke that came on it originally from the factory. The four stroke choice was made for the quiet enjoyment more than the fuel and overall cost savings, but the performance is as expected and quite noticeable. Half throttle performs equally as well as full throttle did previously and since prop shaft output HP is mandated within the 10% cowling specs, whether two or four stroke, you should expect similar results, if not better, with your 90hp coming from a 40hp. Also keep in mind with those performance expectations you should also receive fuel/oil savings at similar cruising speeds as well. As AF mentioned previously, more horsepower requires less effort and expense to achieve those similar results. I say go for the upgrade and enjoy the all around benefits. ( I also own a 2005 Carolina Skiff with same year 90hp Yamaha two stroke and love that motor and it's dependability. ) Good luck! ;)

Looks like I have yet another winter project. Thanks for your opinion.

Latest posts

Back