Need help with tire issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Lyons

Reaction score
I have a replacement trailer for my Nitro, original dissolved from salt water launch and recoveries. Nitro trailers allow the water INSIDE the frame and NO amount of washing or attempts to flush will get it out. New trailer is a WESCO, My trouble is - The tires are severely weather cracked and require replacement. I have looked at different tire sites and merely became very confused. Why??

Trailer tires are 5.30 X 12 5 bolt pattern on 4.5

I think this translates to a "205" tire size?? the "12" inch rim doesn't cross over to Goodyear Marathons since (it appears) almost all of the trailer tire sites start there rim sizes at 13. 12 isn't found. Wally world has Carlisle tires that appear would work, however my desire is to keep my $18K boat safely as possible on its wheels (no flats and/or blowouts desired)durng any transport and the Carlisles do not have a good reputation. The description of the tire size from Wall Mart is 480/530 X 12 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

May I ask for advice on what tires the site pro's would recommend and how does the 12 inch rim get defined (as a normal vehicle would)for a purchase of new tires? My boat may travel 2 hours distance from Summerville SC, at freeway speeds. Those little 12 inch tires are rotating incredibly fast at 60-65MPH.

Normal "look-ups" for tires appears not to apply to boat trailer tires.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions in advance. MY boat will not move until I find tires. First move will be slow speed, short distance to nearest tire change place.

Michael

I really didn't expect this much trouble nor confusion for tire replacement.

Oh man, Michael.....

My suggestion would be to go to a store that specializes in wheels. See if they can find a 13" rim that has your same bolt pattern. Then you'll be able to buy regular, automotive tires.

Those little 12" trailer tires are not exactly the most desired support for your rig on the highway.....

Whatever you do, be sure to keep your tires properly inflated.

me!

If it's a Wesco..probably 13" might be the biggest to fit under the fender but, you might be able to raise em'? I would go with the biggest diameter that would fit...

TEE

Do what ME! said...find a 13" wheel with your bolt pattern and find some Marathons and slap those bad boys under your Nitro and fish on.

Good Luck

T.S.

The junk bias plies I have on my 02' 185 really suck! When they wear out(almost there already) I'm goin' marathons and NEVER look back! Hate to say it...I have had two Trailstar trailers with those junk tires and a gettin'a little bit frustrated to the point of NO MORE!

13 inch tires will probably fill the wheel wells, I will look into this as suggested. I really had hoped for Marathon tires in that size tire so I would keep a lower price on replacements, however, cost of trailer/boat repairs due to failed tires at present size jusitifes the expense. Now the funds officer to needs to be convinced and agree (wife)

Michael.

Unless you do a LOT of trailering.....

Chances are that you will never need to replace the tires.

First off you can not convert the number 5.30 x 12 to a radial number. size yes but not the number. 155r12 is as close as you will get. If the 13" wheels and tires will fit your trailer then go that way. A taller tire turns less revs,less wear on bearing's ect. the 5x4.5 bolt pattern is standard on most all trailers (and most Fords) wheels are not a problem. At least the Carlisle tires are made here in the USA. Trailer tires fail more from poor maint of pressure and age than any other reason.. My .02

BF

Latest posts

Back