Need Help with Livewell

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S.

Reaction score
I have a TV 17 -Livewell in the rear. Nothing Fancy just a Switch on the Dash that fills it up thru a sprayhead. I was assuming that you could not overfill it because it has an overflow outlet and hose near the top of the livewell that leads to the transom. There is an outlet located next to the main drain plug where excess water is supposed to spill out. This is also where the livewell empties by pulling the plug (inside the livewell) when the boats on the trailer. While fishing this weekend I left the livewell pump on for approx 20 minutes hoping to get some fresh water to some Walleyes I caught. 20 minutes later I noticed the livewell was overfilling and water was collecting in the bottom of boat. Had to bilge out for a while.

I am assuming the water does not drain out cause the outlet is located underwater?

On another boat in the Family the livewell overfill outlet leads to a hole in the side of the boat, not underwater. When leaving the pump on for a while it just spills out.

What can I do to help keep my catch fresh? Anyone have this problem or think this is a bad design putting the overfill outlet underwater?

The "Outlets" I am refering to on the boat transom are also called "THRU HULL FITTINGS"

Scott, an overflow can drain to a fitting below the waterline.

Sorry for a silly example, but imagine this: You are standing knee deep in lake water, holding a 5 gallon bucket of water above your head. You punch a hole in the bottom of the bucket. Water spills out and into the lake, right? Now, imagine the same scenario where you punch a hole in the bottom of the bucket, stick the end of an 8' hose in it, with the other end of the hose under water, near your foot. Will the water still flow out of the bucket, even with one end of the hose submerged? Yes. Two bodies of water with a free path and no restrictions between them will always try to equalize their height due to gravity.

As long as the level of the lake is lower than the level of the overflow in your livewell, water will run out of the overflow and into the lake.

The only way for your livewell to overflow in the situation you describe is a restriction somewhere in the outlet path. Either a loop or kink in the hose, or a physical blockage.

If you kink the hose and stop the flow of water halfway through, would the bucket be half-empty or half-full???

If it spilled in the middle of a deserted forest, would it make a noise?

If Mac has 4 Corona's and only 3 wedges of lime, and the nearest store is 33 minutes away by boat, and there is a 12mph wind with 3 ft following seas, how many would he drink before he reached the produce department to get more limes???

Actually if Mac poured the third and fourth bottles into a large pitcher, he would only need 3 limes for the four bottles and save himself a trip for limes but since he'll be out of beer after that he'll need to go to the store anyway. Again...what boat is he driving and the speed is what at WOT?

Barb

Mac,

I'll make it up to you this weekend during our hunting trip...but watch out for the stories next Wednesday when I get back...

let me get started on it now...

Mac, the amateur nimrod, was preparing for his first squirrel hunt with myself and the boys from Basspro...we gave him some of our special "squirrel in rut urine" and instructed him to pour it liberally on his clothing....

Is he in the boat while doing this and...has he been to the store on the other side of the lake yet?

"Squirrel-in-Rut"??????

Neeley, I'll have to remember that one!

Mac, you dumb s###!

me!

There's only one person that I know would bring up the nekkid pontoon trip.....Guest User -->I know who you are !~!

happy to see you surfing.

Barb Ken Mac, I'm willing to bet I'll throw all those values out the window when I show up with some Canadian ale at the end of the month.

Pierre

Thanx Scott I checked it over and that seems to be what is happening. Has anyone put a flow resrtiction valve on? Would it put additional strain on the pump causing it to fail prematurely? I may check out some other boat makers plumbing and see what I find. I was also thinking of adding a Cable Controlled Drain Valve. Currently I just have a Drain Plug inside the livewell. Do these work well?

Oh, no...... Please don't do this to me......... You guys know I cna't help myself......... Mac, Neeley....... Here, take over....... It's killin' me......... "Flow Restriction valvle" is just to-o-o-o-o tempting............ The lines about stones and wedding rings.........

:^)

me!

Latest posts

Back