need help with Guest 2 bank onboard charger

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirob30

Reaction score
Guest 2 bank charger was working fine then one day, I plugged into it and nothing. No indicator lights at all. I checked my fuse panel and connectors to the batteries. Has anyone else had this problem or can you advise on whether or these things have a breaker installed? Any input is appreciated

I have the XPS 3 bank charger (30 amp) and so far it's working great but I had a 3 bank charger (15 amp) and it went bad like that. I took it out of the boat and plugged it in and it was working again but I couldn't depend on it so I bought the charger I'm using now. I gave the 15 amp to a friend who was needing one and it worked fine till he sold his boat. Chargers will go bad but maybe there is a solution to fix yours and if so let the rest of us know what you do to correct the problem. Hope you get it worked out. How old is your charger by the way? :)

uote="buzzbuster, post: 699901, member: 50602"]I have the XPS 3 bank charger (30 amp) and so far it's working great but I had a 3 bank charger (15 amp) and it went bad like that. I took it out of the boat and plugged it in and it was working again but I couldn't depend on it so I bought the charger I'm using now. I gave the 15 amp to a friend who was needing one and it worked fine till he sold his boat. Chargers will go bad but maybe there is a solution to fix yours and if so let the rest of us know what you do to correct the problem. Hope you get it worked out. How old is your charger by the way? :)[/quote]
Th

Thanks for your reply buzzbuster! My charger came installed on a 2007 Nitro. I bought the boat 3 months ago from a guy that had it since new and only had it on the water 2 times. The boat was garage stored for 6years and is in tip top shape. The charger worked fine until I took the boat to the shop for a service. When I brought it home it didnt work and hasnt worked since. I will try removing it and plugging it in direct instead of using an extension cord and maybe I will have better luck. Thanks again.

Fuses to the charger should be on the leads to the batteries. Since it quit working after taking it in for service, have you verified that the charging leads are actually ON the batteries? What did the service do? Go back and look at what they touched. Look at the fuses on the leads, I have NEVER seen a charger get fused at the panel, never seen one wired to a fuse panel as there's no need for it. You mount it, connect leads to battery and plug it in. If leads weren't connected, it doesn't take much to blow the charging lead fuses.

I agree it should only have fused leads to the batteries. Mine have fuses to each post (positive and negative). I also only have the trolling motor hooked to the batteries and nothing else. I concur with Airforce check to see if the service department may have unhooked something and check behind their work. May just be a oversight on their part but things are known to have happened. Good luck with your search. :confused:

AirForceenginet: 699904 said:
Fuses to the charger should be on the leads to the batteries. Since it quit working after taking it in for service, have you verified that the charging leads are actually ON the batteries? What did the service do? Go back and look at what they touched. Look at the fuses on the leads, I have NEVER seen a charger get fused at the panel, never seen one wired to a fuse panel as there's no need for it. You mount it, connect leads to battery and plug it in. If leads weren't connected, it doesn't take much to blow the charging lead fuses.
The service was engine only. I will recheck all connections and fuses. I didnt check in line fuses. Thanks!!

Engine only, then they would have disconnected the starting battery at least, that's per all service dept regs to (see your manual, its there too) prevent accidental starting (safety first).

What you didn't say was, do you by chance have an external port for the charging unit that looks like this ? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat...ssories/738132.uts?WTz_l=Unknown;cat104465880

If so, then it could be that the plug from the charging unit, has dislodged from the inside part of the exterior plug. Just another thing for you to check. Did you verify that the extension cord worked by plugging in a unit (drill or something similar). Sometimes the simplest things is the thing you overlooked.

Awesome advice and thanks. I guess I failed to mention that the charger is used for a 12/24 volt trolling motor system.

so lets us know - did everything check out but the charger still won't function? You didn't mention how old this guest 2 bank charger is, nor which particular model it was. I assume that this is model 16102. If it is, then read the section Setting Up the Battery Chemistry as its possible this was disrupted and has confused the charger. Its very odd that your charger wouldn't show any life at all.

http://www.marinco.com/files/support/product/manuals/ICS_2.pdf

I guess the charger is just no good. I tried each suggestion and nothing worked. Thanks for the input and suggestions. Gonna have to just replace it.

Too bad you didn't get one of the Noco Genius chargers when they had the 50% off sale recently which has now ended before Christmas. I ended up getting 2 for boats and 2 for vehicles the prices were so good.

Gono look on amazon and ebay and see what shakes loose.

also keep in mind if funds are a little tight, if you have a credit card, Bass Pro will do the 6 month pay plan for anything over $125. Its how I get my big ticket or a LOT of stuff at one time. You can call with the item # if the 6 month pay plan doesn't show on your account on checkout. How it works, they initially charge your card for 3 payments (+ $1 per month), they refund 2 payments if that clears within 10 days, then charge you each month to that card + $1. I've done it for several years now.

Latest posts

Back