Need 911 Info

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Ganske

Reaction score
Hello! I have an oppurtunity to buy a 2002 Nitro 911 CDC with a 225 Optimax with 60hours. I currently own a Javelin 17' fish and ski and would like to step up to a larger boat. I fish monthly club tournaments and enjoy fishing with my wife and son. I would like your feedback on this Nitro model and if there are any issues I should be concerned about. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks!

I wouldn't so much be concerned with the 911 - it's a battleship of a bassboat. I'd love to have that much storage room, and I've always liked the way that center console design looked - very sharp. I've never riden in one, but I bet the ride is really dry too.

What I would be concerned with is the engine. 60 hours on a 6 year old engine? Heck, I put more than 60 hours on my current outboard in the first year I owned it, and I didn't consider that a whole lot of hours. If you think of it - you have a full 6 years, counting 2002 thru 2007 - so that averages 10 hours a year. I could do that in one weekend. So I would be worried about the outboard sitting for extended amounts of time, gas going bad in the gas tank, and then run through the engine anyway, seals dry-rotting, etc... I may be paranoid about it - but I would be thinking one of two things right now - either the seller is not telling the truth about the hours on the engine, or the engine sat a LOT for the past 6 years. Luckily - your dealer can hook up the Optimax to a computer and tell you how many hours are actually on it.

If you do buy it, I hope you enjoy it. Post some pics of it! What colors?

All the best,

Glenn

Hi Glen! Thanks for your comments! I will have a marine mechanic buddy of mine do a thourough inspection and compression test and get me the true hours on it before I actually buy it. It is black and Silver.

I would LOVE one, I've rode in the 929 and the 911, and i'd take the 911 every day, especialy with a family of 4, the 225 Opti is the standard motor, not a speed demon but a nice solid platform and speed into the upper 60's easy, so a huge change from a 17fter!!

Its on the list of my dream boats.

Trep

Hutch911 has a '06 model and we used it of the FOM TX last year. Great ride and love the layout. Like Glenn and others said, get it checked out mechanically.

I somewhat disagree with Glenn about the number of hours. Depending on where the guy selling it fishes he could be like me. I have an '02 896 and I KNOW I don't have sixty hours on the engine. It takes me 10 minutes to go from one end of the lake to the other and then I'm on the troller for the day. Never had the boat off of Lake Anna since I bought it.

I have a 911, before that I had a dc190, then an 896, then a 901. I really like the 911 more than any of the others, I also am running the 225 Opti, the hole shot is hands down lots better than any of the others, as much as one other comment said no speed demon, with two guys and a tournament load, empty livewells, it will do a consistant 65 mph on my gps, have had 70 mph days, lots depends on weather and load.

The ride is hands down better than any others i have had, and I mostly fist the Mo River resevoirs, so it sees its share of rough water and I do understand how other boats handle them.

Go for it, its a great boat.

Mt previous boat was 2001 Nitro 911 with a 225 optimax. That was a good boat.

I second Bill's comment. It does not necessarily mean it sits up all the time. My '05 has 15 hours and I use it nearly every weekend. We have launches all over the place here.

I had 4 of em. A 1999, 2000 and two 2001's.

Loved it. I still think it is the best riding rough water boat out there (once you know how to drive it).

The things to look for are stress cracks near the front of the back deck where it meets the side walls. They are notoriuos for that. Also the plumbing on the Guardian Livewells is usually ran UNDER the livewell. If it has the no-splash lip, the live well will expand when full of water and rest on the hoses. The hoses then crack and leak. Easy fix.

The battery tray in the bilge was known for "warping" from the weight of the batteries. This can be fixed by adding an aluminum channel to the long edges of the tray to help stop the flexing.

Also make sure (I am almost certain all of them had this by 2002) that is has the transom vent. This will eliminate the vaccuum in the cut away transom and allow for a decent hole shot.

Great boat if you get one that was built well.

Mini

lots of storage, lots of deck space.. though 60 hours does seem low.

perhaps those are not the real hours, or not the original motor???

DSCN0307.jpg

Thanks to everyone that responded to my questions! I appreciate your input. I hope everything works out and we can make the deal on it this weekend! I will let you know how it goes after I get the report from the mechanic. Have a great week!

Tee - I drove Sim's last summer, MAN with the 250 XB on the back his 911 is a ROCKET! I'd love to see the race between Sim's and Dave's 250 XB against 250 Verado!!

Latest posts

Back