Navionics maps on my IPhone

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I've had my Iphone for about a year and a half. No real apps that were really awe-inspiring. I've downloaded stuff like "Flashlight" which comes in handy with the red screen when tying knots at night and not messing up my night vision, an electronic Tic-Tac-Toe game to pass the time with my son while waiting for food in a restaurant, etc...

Well, the other day I caught Shaw Grigsby talking on a show and noted one of his many "plug my sponsors" moments on the show (which take up more time than the actual fishing during the program, or so it seems). But it caught my eye - Navionics maps on my Iphone. Cool. Downloaded it last night. Took a while, but it's on there now. Nice little application. It has HD maps of all the major bodies of water I fish, as well as regular maps of items as small as town drinking water lakes.

Well worth the $10 (heck, a Navionics chip for your GPS will cost you 10 times that - and these appear to be the same maps).

If you have an Iphone, I suggest you check it out.

All the best,

Glenn

Glad to help Dan. I downloaded the "Lakes South" application for fishing TX. There are many to choose from, and they have it for "Marine" as well as "Lakes". I'm an inland fisherman, so I chose the later, and the "South" covers quite a bit on that app.

All the best,

Glenn

I have the northeast one for mine. Its pretty nice and the maps look the same as whats on my card. when they first came out they wanted 60 bucks for them, then they dropped the price to ten and thats when i got it. I hvvent used it much but will when im on someone else's boat. The only improvement i could ask for is the ability to bring in my waypoints.

Another thing i have noticed its a battery killer if you leave it running for an hour or two....

Extra? $0 and .00 cents. :lol: It's an App. Once you buy it, it's yours. I pay my regular monthly phone costs, and I've never been anywhere even remotely close to my minutes for both voice and online use.

All the best,

Glenn

Exactly, the app itself doesnt even use any data over the cell network when you use it. Its using the GPS thats built into the phone. If it did use any data the iphone plan includes unlimited data so thats a non issue.

I compare it to having a "backup GPS" tucked away in my dry storage locker. And it only cost me $10. Hard to beat.

I also can't tell you how many times we have done fishing shows and been standing there either with a customer, or among friends, telling stories about the lake and trying to have people visualize where we are talking about. Now, I take this out, and I can show them (or better yet... have them show me! Ha!), whether I'm near a GPS display or not.

All the best,

Glenn

Guys, if you have the Iphone, download the app called boat ramps. Its .99 and it will show you ramps based on your location, zip ect and it maps them, gives you phone numbers and tells you about the services they have at each ramp. I use it all the time. That and trapster :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update. Just not into the whole 'smart phone/iphone' thing. I use a phone to make and receive calls. Very basic stuff. I tried the GPS on it a few times, not worth the trouble.

Tex

Rumor has it that Android software is next for Navionics.....prime reason I went and got a DROID

Latest posts

Back