My Weekend Project

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Getting ready for the wife to make a visit next weekend so I had a lot of nervous energy!!:D Since the boat was still in the driveway:angry: I figured it was time to give it the once over. I tightened every nut, bolt and screw I could find. I guess the long pull down here worked everything loose because there were soooo many loose that I started getting hand cramps. Then I had that ugly realization that I better check the rub rail screws even though I knew what I was going to find. And so it began....pull loose 3 feet of rail, tighten screws, repeat. When I got done that I decided to pull the pressure washer out on the dock and clean off the lift that was in the water for a couple of months. All I can say is YUCK!! River mud in the carpet, barnacles all over everything and a royal PIA to get out on....Finished that and was totally spent. Got up this morning and popped some asprin and went out on the patio with my coffee just in time to watch an eagle swoop down and nab a squirrel :eek: Wind was howling pretty good but I thought what the heck and hooked up the boat. Ran downwind about 10 miles to Black Creek. Had one blowup on a senko and found out my drag was all the way open....:angry:

Explored some water and decided what the heck, I'm gonna throw the boat on the open lift even though I am going to move it over to the enclosed one as soon as my neighbor gets rid of his junker....Come out of the creek and there's honest 3 footers and I've got about 6 miles to run!!:eek: Sure glad I tightened up the topcap!! Loading the boat on the lift was no fun!! I'm typing fast because by my calculations I've got about an hour before I pass out!! Look out Florida fishies....TOXIC is now on the hunt!!:p Before work, after work....the boat is outside my back door.

boat lift.jpg

TOXIC

Nice pic, Toxic. River and lake-front property here in West Virginia is outrageous....Im jealous. Maybe one day....:lol:

Awesome Tox! Glad to hear your rig is finally getting wet again. Mine hasn't been in the water in at least 5 weeks. That ends tomorrow!! The weather isn't supposed to be the best, a N.E. wind at 15-20 MPH. I don't care, I'm going!!

Gene

Great Pix Tox, you just BETTER not decide after a few drinks to walk out and sit in the boat, that walk looks LONG!!!

I'm looking at airfares... Cool, FINALLY, you g et the full benefit of waterdfront property... ("A sleeping bag under a highway bridge on an creek...is stillwaterfront property!..." J. Buffet):rolleyes::cool:

Now I have to learn the river and what it has to offer in the fish category!! Teri, it is brackish water kinda like the Potomac but I think it might have a higher salt content. That is why these guys hang out at the dock.

Picture 065sm.jpg

As a matter of fact when I was pressure cleaning the lift, they made a visit and scared the beejesus outta me!!

The bad part (as Trep noticed) is I have to lug my crap out there. Water thieves are not uncommon. The reason the dock is so long is because I am on a point and in a heavy tidal area. Depth at the end of the dock at low tide is 2 feet:eek:!! Wouldn't you know it, I get the boat finally in the water and we get a cold front!!:lol::lol: Supposed to last all week.

TOXIC

Welcome to "high cotton" Tox!! Get a folding grocery cart (extremely cheap) and use it for a dolly to cart your pawnable stuff to and fro. Wouldn't hurt to get a piece of logging chain and a lock for the bow eye, also. Now all you need is some time at home to burn some gas and explore. You're gonna fall in love with the St. Johns!! :wub:

Yeah well so far it's kickin my rear!!:p:p Good thing is that a chute I chose to fish on my way back had another bass boat in it and that's a good sign. I think I'll hone in on Dr's Lake across the river from me to get started and save some fuel.....after this cold front moves through.;)

TOXIC

TOXIC,

READING YOUR POST YOU MENTIONED TIGHTENING SCREWS UNDER RUB RAIL. IS THIS A MAINTENANCE ITEM THAT I SHOULD LOOK AT DOING. I HAVE A 99 - 896 SAVAGE 19.5 FT. BOAT. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE DOING THIS BEFORE.

THANKS,BRANTLEY

TOXIC,

READING YOUR POST YOU MENTIONED TIGHTENING SCREWS UNDER RUB RAIL. IS THIS A MAINTENANCE ITEM THAT I SHOULD LOOK AT DOING. I HAVE A 99 - 896 SAVAGE 19.5 FT. BOAT. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE DOING THIS BEFORE. DIDNT EVEN KNOW THERE WERE SCREWS UNDER THERE!

THANKS,BRANTLEY

Tox - nice set up! As for the gear, might be worth investing in a dock box (or two). Bolt them down to the dock with lag screws and rubber backed washers from the inside and use a good padlock on the outside. That'll make it really really hard for thieves to get into it!

Thought about that Jim, I just don't want to invest the $$ in something that I will leave behind.

Brantly,

Tightening rub rail screws ought to be in the owners manual (but it's not)!! Everyone I know has had to do it on a regular basis. Mini actually put more screws in his top cap. Rough water and trailering works the screws loose. Mac was pushing my boat off the trailer and the topcap lifted off the hull about 3 inches!!:lol::lol: I have tried everything to get them to stay in but so far about twice a year I pull the rub rail and just cinch them down. Key is to do about 2 to 3 feet at a time. Pull the rail, tighten the screws, replace the rail, repeat. If you pull too much rail off it is a bear to get back on.

TOXIC

Tox,

Have you tried 3M 4200 Adhesive/Sealant for the screws? It's not permanent like 5200, so it can be removed.

Get a cheap yard wagon from Tractor Supply or home supply store to get your stuff to the dock. I have one I used to use to haul a battery, trolling motor and fishing stuff to a canoe on a small lake. I looked a little like the Beverly Hill Billies when I went fishing!

Latest posts

Back