My New Toy

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Clayton

Reaction score
Had some old Bass Pro gift cards laying around so I decided to update my fish finder, install went fairly smooth but what a ball of wires above fuse panel ( Tracker PT 185 ). Happy with the way it came out and picture shows in simulator mode. I really want to get out in real world to use/learn... planning trip to Blue Cypress in a few weeks.... This is a Hummingbird Helix which are fairly new and not high priced.....
IMG_0243 copy.jpg
IMG_0247.jpg

Looks good in the garage Mike, you will have to post some pictures of it out on the water.

Which model HELIX 5 is it?

From what you posted; did you wire the new unit to the boat’s wiring and not all the way back to the cranking battery?

Helix 5 DI/GPS..... I wired it directly to the fuse box where my old fish finder was wired. I know it was recommended that it be wired directly to the battery so I hope it works out Ok. I also mounted the ducer on the step of transom hoping to get some higher speed readings..

It's probably okay wired there Mike but just be aware that a low power connection can show itself in multiple ways on these units.
Would be interested in knowing how well she works at high-speeds for you Mike along with some pics of the transducer install for other Tracker owners to possibly go by.

Greg, I have discussed the wiring hook up with others and they seem not to have any problems but their units were not the Helix ? I need to familiarize myself with unit and then be on the lookout for any changes and thanks for your help. Pictures are no problem and I'm in for helping others as well as being helped. Hope to be on the water towards end of week if not to fish but just experiment with unit.

Greg, Pictures of transducer on step, does it look like it's in the right position ? It does sit level even though picture looks like it's at an angle....

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 236
I got the same rig for my '97 Pro 17 last fall to replace the stock unit. Im selling the 17 and put a deposit on a 2017 Pro Team 190 TX this weekend and I've already pulled the Helix to go on the new boat. I'm going to pull the new stock for a Bow Mount and replace it with the Helix. You'll enjoy the detail on the DI but don't be surprised if it isn't as detailed as the simulator. I'd suggest trying the split view for a while until you get used to what the DI is showing you. Fish tend to be suspended blurs - the arcs make it easier to pinpoint fish and the DI will give you a much better idea of the cover they are in. Took a little getting used to when all I had before was a 17 year old grey scale Wide Eye.