Motorguide To Hummingbird...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
I just picked up a left over MotorGuide 75 digital tour 24v tm. It has built in sonar. I also just bought a hummingbird Helix 5 chirp G2 with GPS that I’m planning on mounting on the front of my 700 LX. Do any of u guys know which adapter I need to buy to hook up the sonar cable to my finder? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Do any of u guys know if there’s any power wires in the bow to wire up my fish finder? Or will I have to run wires all the way back? 2001 700LX

Do any of u guys know if there’s any power wires in the bow to wire up my fish finder? Or will I have to run wires all the way back? 2001 700LX

There should be a circuit at the bow for that, BUT it is minimum for sophisticated electronics. You will find out when you start the outboard and the unit shuts down.
Orange or Orange/Red with a Black wire taped together.

There should be a circuit at the bow for that, BUT it is minimum for sophisticated electronics. You will find out when you start the outboard and the unit shuts down.
Orange or Orange/Red with a Black wire taped together.
So, I would have to keep turning the unit on after I turn the outboard on or off? Would that erase any of my settings on the finder? Would I be better off to run New power wires all the way back to the batteries? Thanx for the quick reply Wayne.

So, I would have to keep turning the unit on after I turn the outboard on or off? Would that erase any of my settings on the finder? Would I be better off to run New power wires all the way back to the batteries? Thanx for the quick reply Wayne.

The unit shutting down due to a power loss will not save any settings you did from the last start-up/shut-down.
The distance/length of the wire from the battery adds resistance and voltage drop. When a load is put on the circuit, the voltage drops more.
That bow circuit is OK for a low amp sonar-only unit most of the time IF your battery is in good condition and sized to handle the engine starting amps. I used to use a Humminbird Matrix 97 at the bow and it did OK with that circuit, when I changed to a 798ci SI Combo, it would shut down when starting the engine after about 1/2 day. I did two things, increase the battery size and ran a dedicated circuit from the battery to the bow using 12 gauge wire. Since then I have used a 1198c SI Combo, ONIX 10 SI and currently a Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS with no issues.
I may have to change to 10 gauge if I move my SOLIX 12 SI to the bow.

One more thing, set one of readouts to show voltage. If you don't have at least 12V displayed with a fully charged battery, you have too much resistance in the circuit for that load.

One more thing, set one of readouts to show voltage. If you don't have at least 12V displayed with a fully charged battery, you have too much resistance in the circuit for that load.
Great info. Thank you. Chances are, I will have to do what u did as the unit I will be running has gps that I’ll be using to mark waypoints. Thanx again.

Latest posts

Back