Motor Starting Procedures

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Snider

Reaction score
Do you guys give your engine a little gas (by deactivating the transmission) if it doesn't start within 2-3 times of cranking it OR maybe just choke it a little by pushing in on the key? It seems that I flooded my engine the other day (see long useless post about engine "problems" below) and I guess it's because I gave it too much gas while starting it... I didn't smell gas too strong, but I guess that had to be it. Any recommended methods that work best?

Oh yeah, I've noticed another thing about my motor... I'm not sure how to explain this, though. Sometimes, if the engine doesn't start the first or second time, it sounds like the starter is giving out or something. I mean, it'll turn over for a few seconds, then make a buzzing kind of noise. I'll have to turn the key off, then try again. I'm wondering if this indicates that the starter is going bad? Does anyone else's motor do this?

I start mine by pumping it in nuetral 5-6 times, then I choke it two or three times, and with the throttle down half way, turn the key until it starts, and let off once it goes. I flooded mine on purpose the other day (just kept pressing the choke in and it died, I'm not too bright all the time), and had no choice but to crank it with the throttle open until it burned off. I know when my car floods I keep the pedal on the floor and crank till it turns over.

Thumppy -

A 2-stroke is very different from a 4-stroke in the way that it floods....... In a 2-stroke, the fuel mixture doesn't go directly into the cylinders....... It goes first into a chamber below the cylinders surrounding the crankshaft and is then forced into the cylinder by the downward motion of the piston. When this area fills with fuel it is VERY difficult to unflood and start again. You almost have to take out all the spark plugs at once and turn the engine over for a while to get the fuel out. You don't "smell" the fuel because it stays in that chamber - not forced out through the exhaust like in a 4-stroke.

When you start your engine - use the choke VERY SPARINGLY! Just hold the choke in until the engine starts to catch and then release it. If it doesn't catch immediately, continue to try for a moment without choking. Most newcomers - including myself - use the choke entirely too much.

The noise may be that the solenoid is not pulling the starter in. Locate your starter solenoid and try lubing it with just a SMALL spray of WD-40....... That should do the trick!

me!

My OMC Mechanic said on my Johnson 60 "Pumping" the thottle in neutral before starting does NOTHING. Instead I was told tp make sure fuel bulb is hard, then Put in neutral and advance the throttle only slightly for a COLD Weather Start. Push key in and start. As engine starts itmay stumble and seem like its gonna die. At this time push the key in and repeat if it still seems like its gonna die. As it warms you can return the throttle to idle speed. Maybe this helps. Mine starts perfectly this way when its below 40 and starts on first try over 40 Degrees.

ET -

Very good info - IF your engine is carburetor-type. Those with EFI, DFI, Optis, etc - don't touch nuthin'!

On today's fuel injected cars, pumping the peddle or holding it to the floor does nothing either.

It's funny how hard old habits and misconceptions die off...... Said one of the oldest members of the board!

me!

Latest posts

Back