Motor Smoking

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIM LOCKHART

Reaction score
Think I screwed up my first message. I have tracker with 60-Merc-Oil Injected. Smokes bad on start up. Clears up under full power. Oil in air box. Dealer says, just be glad it is oiling. Can't see!!!! Outside of buying from another dealer next time, can you help me?

Jim -

You should NOT have oil in the airbox.

Now, my guess is that it is something simple - like maybe you're over-choking when you go to start the engine. Just hold the choke in for a few moments the first time you crank it. If it doesn't catch quickly, choke for a second or two more. But, DO NOT hold the choke in constantly for any period of time - especially in this warmer weather.

Any Mercury Dealer can provide you with warranty work on the engine.

me!

OH MAN! Oil in the air box! Sounds like bad carb bearings, or maybe prop gasket. LOL Kidding, but it sounded good right? Like Scott said, if your smoking excessively, it USUALLY just means you're running it rich to start. That is better than lean. Except over prolonged periods, because then you'll get deposits. The best person to ask is Jim Lively. You could probably run the crazy thing on the other end of the phone for him, and he could tell you whats wrong. Doesn't sound real bad Jim, but get it checked out just in case. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Rob

as far as oil in the airbox... that is typical of any carburated engine, when tilted up the carbs will drain out the front and into the airbox... the bleed line at the bottom of the airbox will suck the excess back up that is why it will smoke so much at start up

Ah-ha! Very good, Chris! Never thought of that!

Rob - My carb just had bushings, not bearings. Are they making the newer models that way? Or did I just get talked into an "economy model" that was high profit for the seller? Are they ball or roller?

me!

Look at the bright side Jim, at least nobody will hang around to bother you on your good spots!

Hey, Jim........ Think you could pull that thing by my house while it's running on the trailer? Mosquitos are bad this year........

me!

Latest posts

Back