Motor question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Lavely2

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me with this. I took my 1996 Force 120 into the shop recently because it seemed sluggish on the throttle. It started and idles fine, but when you dropped the hammer their seemed to be a lag. It was also only turning about 4,000 RPM at WOT. The tech said I had a bad trigger and replaced it. He also changed all the plugs and installed a fuel filter and a quick disconnect on the fuel line. When I took her out on the water the first time afterward she fired up and purred. Still, at WOT I was only getting around 45 MPH, fully loaded. That seems a little slow for 120 HP on a 170 DC. The second time we took her out, she didn't start as easily and she occasionally stalled out going into gear. Anyone care to take a stab at this?

Always start with the basics.

-compression test

-fuel delivery, quality and supply.

-electrical system output.

I would also recommend running it on a shop tank and a remote harness, to isolate the engine from the boat. I've seen NUMEROUS running issues from boat rigging problems.....

Did they do this? ;)

Bob,

They ran it on a dyno, which is how they found the trigger issue. He said the fuel deliver system was fine. What I found weird is that it never stalled out going into gear until after the trigger was replaced. The fuel in the tank was getting lower than usual (a little below 1/4 tank). Is it possible the problem could be with the fuel itself?

Of course it COULD be, try running it off a portable tank. Eliminate the obvious first.

I had a 1989 125 force and had the same problem. It turned out to be one of the power modugles after replaceing it went back to full power. Still had the problem with the engine stall but could never find out why this happened. After warming up it would get better. Good luck.

Actually Daddy Don, mine seems to get worse as a trip goes on. Last night, it started stalling out when I shifted it into gear at the ramp when we were loading up to go home. If I shifted and gave it extra throttle is seemed to be ok.

could just be the carb dont like a trimmed up position at idle.

always had trouble with the black max on my old ranger putting it on the trailer.

if I over trimed at idle the carbs flood them self (one word or two? no matter) out.

hope it is that simple for ya ?

Latest posts

Back