Motor Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
Without reading all of the member information to see if anyone has a motor like mine, I will ask for assitance in the event that anyone out there can offer it. I have a 98 Pro Team 175 with a 9.9 Merc. Yes, a 9.9 (I live in PA where a lot of our lakes have horsepower restrictions). In any event, I have had carb adjustments made by a dealer in an attempt to get me a little more speed. While I know that this is a lot of boat to for this motor to push, people have been telling me to do a few other things. For one, it's going to another dealer next week to be looked at. He feels that the dealer that did the work originally did something wrong. People have been telling me that I should put a jack plate on to elevate my motor. They say that this will get me a little more speed. I have to do this because my motor is already as high up as it can go on the transom. I'd like a few opinions before I go out and spend some cash.

The other problem that I have noticed is that since my boat was new, it runs at about 4100RPM's. It seems like it surges as if it wants to go faster put the prop doesn't seem like it turns fast as it should. Any ideas?

Thanks.

brian

I don't think that adding a jake plate will benefit you much if anything. You will be adding weight for one, and that is something you don't need. I believe what EsoxTracker says, "That a hydrofoil might help." I believe that would be your best route to take, and definitely would be your cheapest route. Plates can be expensive and a pain in the butt if not installed properly. Rip Some Lips, Rod

Brian,

I can't help with your motor question, but when it comes time for a new boat, hold on to your 9.9. Buy the boat with a larger motor and mount the 9.9 as a kicker. I live in PA as well, and this allows me to fish comfortably on all the lakes with horsepower restrictions, plus all other bodies of water. I have the Pro Angler 16 with a 25 and an 8. I am not setting any records, but feel safer on the rivers and larger lakes like Shenango or Raystown.

Rich D

Brian,

I had a 9.9 merc on a 165 and I changed from the 9 x 9 stock prop to the 9 3/4 x 6 1/2 (part # 48-828150 A12). The prop did not give me more speed but it allowed me more rpm's. I was trying for rpm's because I had a residual oil problem (motor kept draining oil out the exhaust after use). That prop helped but did not cure the residual oil situation. Mercury recommended a smaller 5 1/2" pitch (part # 48-828148 A12)to get even more rpm to burn the excess oil. I did not try the smaller prop because I sold my boat and bought my PT 175. Just for the record, I wish I still had my 9.9 and 165.

Brian -

All the tricks in the book and all the bux your buddy has in his pocket aren't going to make a noticable difference in performance. It simply isn't enough motor.

Tell him I said to save his money up for a larger motor (Or maybe just a second boat!) that he can put on the boat when he goes to larger lakes!

me!

Latest posts

Back