Motor Question Bob

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Ok Bob..I finally got the boat out. If you recall in my last message, my 2000 150 XR6 was bogging down and stalling out during takeoff. None of the normal fixes have stopped it from happening. I tried your latest suggestion of hitting the choke when it started to bogg down, it didn't seem to help the situation, as she still bogged down and stalled out. I have discovered though, that if I start the motor up and let it run for a bit while I stow things away and then take off, it reduces the problem but not every time. As I said, it idles great, no issues there. Noticed something else that may also be related. It occured last season a couple times, but I didn't really give it much thought and it happened again the other day. When running wide open, I will lose a little power for a couple seconds, then it will return to normal. It's actually imperceptable to the passenger as my buddy didn't notice a thing, but if your driving you pick up on it right away. I'm leaning in the direction that the motor may be running lean. The slight and occasional loss of power at top end didn't start happening until I installed a water separating fuel filter, which I'm now considering removing. I dope my gas religiously, so I'm not overly concerned about phase separation. Other than removing the filter, I'm at a loss of what to do next, as I've done/replaced all the simple things in an attempt to fix the problem. I am open to your suggestions...

And before I forget, I am yet again going to replace my fuel lines from tank to fuel pump, as well as a new under cowling fuel filter and mercury primer bulb. I picked up bulk fuel line from West Marine BEFORE I read about the "grey mercury line with blue lettering". The line I bought indicates that it is EPA compliant as well as ethanol resistant, like I said it was bulk line, not the prepackaged retro fit stuff. Should I be OK with this stuff..IT WASN'T CHEAP...!

The line is a shiny grey with black lettering which says "Sierra Silverado" made in Canada...If you tell me its no good, I wont use it.

Smitty,

I had a very similar issue with my 150 XR6 when i had it where it would bog down on takeoff and also loose power on the top end at random and it also came with the installation of a water seperating fuel filter. I ended up doing two things, first i removed the filter and the problem mostly went away but i also at Bob's suggestion rebuilt the fuel pump. They get weak over time and the kit to rebuild was pretty cheap and it was super easy to do. After i rebuilt that pump it was like a had a new motor, it ran like it had never run in the time i owned it.

jim B is 100% correct you can't run a water seperator with the xr6.

it just wont prefprm properly and will create a lean condition wich can cause

pistion detonation.

The main issue with ANY fuel line filter is to keep the vacuum below 2"hg. I have used a Merc water separator on just about any Merc above 20 horsepower with ZERO issues. All of the Mercury 2-stroke engines from about 30 up share the same pulse pump, right up to the Pro XS 250. It will produce about 7-10 psi with less than 2"hg. MOST problems occur from customers who install separators with less than adequate pumps. I personally have one on my 25 4-stroke!

OK Smitty...

-1] Rebuild the pulse pump.

-2] If it were me, I'd remove the carbs and clean them internally. Even though they might look clean, we've seen scaling on the jets that cannot be removed with over-the-counter cleaners. Replace the main jets.

-3] Check the anti-siphon valve if your boat is equipped with one. This is the barb that the fuel line attaches to right out of the tank.

-4] Remove pick-up and check for restrictions.

-5] Make sure you have the right spark plugs, good wires, clean grounds.

-6] Compression test recently?....just curious

Keep us informed....

That #3 right there above is a sneaky one, I just got mine resolved replacing it, I was thinking it was a primer bulb problem too. If manually pumping the bulb temporarily solves your issues I'd go there next.....

Awesome...Thanks Bob..any idea what the part # is for the fuel pump rebuild kit..? 2000 150XR6

21-857005A1. I would like to verify if you could post your serial number...;)

Latest posts

Back