motor noise

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantley moats

Reaction score
I hope some of you guys can tell me if this is a normal sound from a optimax or if you can tell me a possible cause.The motor is a 2006 , 200H.P.mercury Optimax. I had not run it in about 5 or 6 weeks. I decided to take off the cowl and start it up in the yard with the water earmuffs attached. It cranked fine and water pressure out of tell-tale hole coming out fine, however it was making a noise toward the front of the motor which sounded like --- have you ever cranked a car motor with one of the spark plugs out-- that was the sound.

I have not noticed the motor running rough or any other thing unusual. I looked over motor while it was running and did not see anything out of the ordinary, but then again I

have'nt spent a lot of time looking at this motor with the cover off.I always let motor warm up before running it, like my mechanic says at least 10 minutes in cold(25 degree) weather and 5 minutes in warmer weather.Last time out the wind and waves were in my face so I opened it up a bit, keep in mind that its a 20 ft nitro with two old fat guys in it. A race boat it ain't.

I might also mention the motor is still under warranty from the factory since it was bought new by the original owner with the extended warranty. I have also verified ,by calling Mercury, that it is still under warranty.

Have any of you had experience with this or am I just "worry wart", like my wife says?Oh yes, by the way, I was a machinist/maintenance mechanic by trade before retiring so you got to figure, I'm a guy who is gonna keep up his equipment at least the running portion- not much for waxing a car though.

Thanks,

Brantley

Put the cowl back on and do it again. Things sound different from different locations in or out of the boat. My 225 efi sounds like a NASCAR racer with the exhaust port out of the water and on the muffs. I have to turn my head and listen if I am running down the lake. If it were something major, I would expect it to affect the way the motor was running, even on the muffs.

TOXIC

I'm with Toxic....those things are made to be in the water to be at 100% and with the cowling on....

You was right Toxic, I had motor checked by dealer no problems!

Thanks,

Brantley

Latest posts

Back