Motor mounting Height

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Lange

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Targa 18 wt. It has a 150hp Mercury Optimax on it. I just recently changed my original aluminum prop. I purchased a Mercury Tempest 14.625 by 19 pitch. I am getting only about 43 to 45.5 mph via gps and am turning 5150rpm. The motor is mounted in the 2nd hole from the top. I am wondering if I can get some more speed and rpm if I raise the Motor up one or two holes? Anyone run into this problem that could offer some advice? Any replies are greatly appreciated and I welcome your comments.

Thanks,

Larry

I'm in the same boat as you (2012 Targa 18 WT) wondering about engine height. I've got the 150 4 stroke running a 19 Tempest around 49 mph (gps) at 5600 rpms. The prop shaft is 7" below the bottom of the boat. I know this is creating a lot of extra drag. Most bass boats run from 3 1/2 to 4" below the bottom. I haven't heard anything about raising motors higher on aluminum boats. It should help. I've got a jack plate that I'm going to play around with to to see for myself. I would think I could run a 20P raising the motor 2 - 3". But it might be he V hull that will not allow this. We'll see!

What mounting hole is your motor in Tom? I can't even put my motor all the way down while on the trailer because the skeg drags on the ground. Makes it a pain in the butt for getting the motor to drain when it is cold.

Larry

Mine is the same, second hole. Also I have to watch the trailer height or all hit too!

I'd like to know also. I can't put my engine down all the way either.

I raised the motor up one hole. I got about 200 more rpm and about 1.5 or 2 mph on gps. I definitely don't think that I would go another hole though. I'm probably going to leave mine right where it is at.

Latest posts

Back