Motor has No Power

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rey Gonzalez

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with No Power when try to crank and turn on the motor...

I have a 2000 Nitro 640 LX with a 60HP Mercury. In the Morning the first thing that I do before leaving the house is too check that my inboard charger light is green and all 3 batteries are good to go, but I have notice before that the motor battery couple of minutes after I unplug the charger if check his charge % and it shows already that has loss some charge depending how long has being unplug 1/2 hour could show already 95% and in two 2 hours is already at 85 % and I'm not sure if this is normal or not; But anyway when I arrived to the lake and try to crank the motor there is no power at all, I can turn the lights on and any other accessory with no problems but it don't start and sometimes I can't tilt the motor either it's like dead... In some other cases I can tilt the motor but no power to start the motor; :angry:

There are some days that I can start in the mornings with no issues but later hours later after using the throlling motor and try to start the motor again no power no tilt, or I can tilt and no power to start, at that point the volt gauge show barely 0 and I have to shut down livewells, fishfinder everything and keep turning and turning the key until finally it crank it tilts and after parying really hard it's start...:rolleyes:

My guess is the battery but everytime I take them to autozone they always tell me is good it took the charge and I now it charge but it's normal to lose charge so fast without being used...? I mean in matter of half, 1 or 2 hours is already almost 80%...?

Another thing is: After all that hassle in the water when I get home I check the charge % and most of the time it's at 80% or 75% so it shows that still has some charge on it...:wacko:

DO I have a Battery problem or a switch problem? A Motor issue? Any suggestions would be really appreciated...:(

Rey:blink:

Tein,

I had the same issues. Others will chime in with more possibilities, but when mine did this it turned out to be dirty connections. It doesn't take much corrosion to block the charge going to the battery. Clean the battery terminals and wire-brush the connections until they are shiny. Reconnect and make sure they are TIGHT.

My guess here is that you have a draw somewhere in line with your starting battery. Maybe a bad ground or loose connection to an accessory? Again, no expert, but have had same kind of thing happen.

Will try that,,, and see what happen... One other thing that I forgot to mention is that when I change the gauges I forgot to write down the cables sequence for the tach gauge and right now is not working, do this may have to do anything?:(

thanks a lot for all the info; I will start with the cleaning the batteries terminal and will continue to fix the tach gauge cause it needs to be fix anyway and will keep you post...:)

Thanks to all of you and for the wiring color codes, that will help a lot too.:)

Latest posts

Back