More trolling motor help please.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Hicks

Reaction score
I have a 2001 nitro 640lx. I,m changing the trolling motor from 12v to 24v. My question is this. The male end of plug that attaches to the TM wires says 12v/24v. It was wired to the old TM with the black wire in the center and the red in the 12v hole. Do I need to wire the new one with the black in the same hole and the red in the 24v hole or leave it like it was. Also if I change the male end wiring do I also have to change the female wiring. The 2 TM batteries are wired in series with just the 2 wires, black abnd red, coming from the batts. There are no switches or anything on the boat that somehow switches anything from 12v to 24v. I just need to know about the plug wiring. Thanks for any help.

It takes two conductors for a 24V motor, one is red (positive) and the other is black (negative).

That is the same as a 12V trolling motor.

A 12/24V plug/receptacle has connections for 3 or 4 conductors. You only need to use two of them, and those two can be any two. Just match the plug prongs with the receptacle holes that have the red and black wire connected.

With a 12/24V motor, the 24V jumper can be at the batteries which would require three wires to the bow, or in the plug which would require four wires to the bow.

The voltage switching would be on the motor. The only reason to have a switch on the boat is for remote charging at the plug instead of at the batteries.

I just changed mine from 12 to 24 and at first i put my connection to the 24v hole of the male plug but got nothing. I then changed it back to the 12v hole and worked.

Latest posts

Back