More script kiddie madness

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Hi all.

Sorry for the site SNAFU this AM. We were once again targeted by malicious cross site scripting attacks. I've cleaned it up, but once again, after pouring through logs, the vulnerability is not obvious to me. I'm blocking dozens of attacks per day, but it only takes one to get through and poof...half of my day is lost to recovery efforts.

Frankly, it's wearing me thin. I am beginning to consider bringing down the curtain on NTOWS. Our traffic is way down as people have migrated off to other sites. Some of the sponsors have simply disappeared, and I am too busy on other issues, and too short on patience, to lose half day chunks of time to this kind of nonsense.

Does somebody want to adopt the NTOWS domains and reconstitute it with new software, and take on the role of managing them going forward? Interested to hear thoughts from the regulars on this. Would like to hear from the long time members regarding the future of this site.

As far as volume...I think it's down due to bad fishing this year and not alot of good news to report these days.

I hope it gets better:(

Although I did catch a 4 lb. smally yesturday;)

Dang Rich, I would hate to see that happen but totally understand your strain, pain and frustration.

Gosh, I have met so many great people from this site. I know Tracker monitors it also. Would it help if you went to a voluntary subscription (like another site I know) that would allow you membership status and picture posting perks but still be open to anyone who wants to register and post? Just a thought. How about giving us some options on what will help you the most.

TOXIC

OK Rich, You asked...I'll tell you!

I'm a long long time member, post occasionally, but read the board on almost a daily basis. Sounds stupid but it's part of my everyday life. I've learned lots about boating & fishing from this site.

Although I've only met a few members in person or on the phone, with all positive experiences, I feel that I know

a lot of all our members like they were good friends, just from reading their posts.

I know you put a lot of your personal time, efforts, and money into keeping this site up, and can understand where your coming from.

I would really hate to think that this fun little internet world that you created for us of NTOWS could dissappear. You made a very good thing happen here and we all appreciate it!

Mike L.

Dang Rich. I hate that the site has become such a pain in the a$$, but I understand. I'm open for ideas on what we/I could contribute to help with the site so it would reduce your time involved. I don't post as much as a lot of the folks, but I'm still here every day. And another thing. I've made several friends here, and had to say goodbye to a couple. It's been a comfortable place to come for 8 short years(for the most part):rolleyes:, and I personally would hate to see it dissappear.

Let me know.

BruceM

Rich - Don't know what I would do without NTOWS. Realize the frustration you have. Would a monetary incentive help. I, for one, would be MORE than willing to pay for an annual membership (nominal of course - LOL) Hopefully this would "pay forward" for all the great work that you do. Thirty day trial memberships for free so you can find new people to continue to join.

Just a thought!

I think some of the reasons for the loss of traffic is the political stuff. I for one am sick of it and particularly some of the postings from some really insensitive people.

Just my thoughts! Where do I send my membership check???????:D:D:D

Im in. Where do we send the $?

ANd I have met quite a few people from this board, and it has been totally a positive experience, Hope they feel the same about me !!!

Trying again. My machine is playing tricks on me.

1. Don't want this to go away. Too good of a site, participation, etc.

2. No more politics. Period. Let's just do away with them.

3. Same as above, where do I send my check to help offset sponsorship revenue.

4. What else is needed. Rich, any way that some of us can help with 'moderator duties'? Not sure how logical that is with the current software/setup you are using, but . . .

Let us know.

Tex

I have, in the space of just a few short months, learned so much about care and maintenance of my boat from the other articles and great answers to my specific questions.

Gentlemen I have only been the board for about a month about as long as I have had my boat. Ya'll have help me with things that Nitro could or would not help with. I love reading the post about fishing and about how to fix things if needed. Most of ya'll have had boats longer than me and your knowledge has been awesome. You have help me out and I know that someone else new will need some advise about Nitro boats. I understand the headaches that go along with running a board but please if at all possible keep it running for Big Dummies like me.....

Coach Allen

(I agree with Tex. I will be glad to help with offset revenue. Don't know enough about computers to help in any other way. I don't like the bickering either, yeah I know I have been part of it. I love this site, and would be glad to help with some sort of donation.

Bubby :(

I too would have no problem paying dues.I have learned so much here and received so much help.This is a daily thing to come and read the post.The political stuff is not as good as the fishing and boating though.I too caught a 4lb smallmouth this weekend on the upper potomac

:(:(:(:(

While I don't post as much as I used to, it's mainly because I am busy, and most of the conversation goes on early before I get a chance to lurk around. It's still my favorite place to be, and is set as my homepage so it's the first place I go when I get on the computer.

I'd really hate to see it go, but also can understand the amount of work that goes into running it.I hope you can figure out a way to keep it up, and I'd happily send a few bucks to help out with costs if that's what it takes. If it takes up too much of your family time to run the site, then I can understand that also.

Hopefully we will be around for awhile.:)

Steve

I'd hate to see it go. Been here a long time. I'd suscribe if necessary.

fatrap

Guys, thank you, but I'm not looking for member dues. There is no financial hardship to keeping the doors open. Having sponsor fees offset some of the time and resources it takes to keep the place running is helpful, but it's not the driving force. The more important issue to me is time. And, because I wrote this software, it's up to me to troubleshoot the technical details when the SHTF. I made the bed. I lay in it.

We'll see what the near future brings in terms of hacker problems and solutions, and how the posting volume goes.

Thanks for expressing your thoughts.

Maybe if you can find out who the hackers are and give their addresses out there are enough of us on the board who would be glad to go and have a nice little visit with them and explain pain and suffering in ways that would keep them from hacking into OUR NTOWS.

I agree with the others, i would hate to see the site go. This site has brought together a lot of fine folks and developed into a greay community.

Rich, if there is anything i can do to help let me know.

Rich,

Also wanted to pass along my appreciation for your diligence. I echo all the comments concerning info and friends. Time with friends and family cannot be replaced once it's gone. I don't "surf", so this site and my email are the only places I go and I really look forward to what's going on with everyone. I'm at 62 and a wake-up fellas and then I get to post a fishing pic or two! But, hoping to fish the Pyongtaek River (South Korea) a time or two before I fly out on 4 Dec, will let ya know how it goes.

JP

NOTE: All hackers should be drawn and quartered!

Rich,

Might we ADOPT one of the message board packages out there? That takes the "load" of support off your back... We keep the front and just use a different message board package. As you know, I am not a programmer by ant stretch, but I do know that a few companies our guys support use a message board package for their service techs to communicate.

I would hate to see this go away. Like Tox and the others, I have real friends here and a great personal tie to a lot of the people here.

Rich if I stop lurking so much and post a little more would that help? I do stop here everyday, I just don't have much to say latley.

And I would join up if thats what it takes.

BF

Rich - I'm not computer saavy enough to offer to host, but I do want to add my voice to the chorus of appreciation. Like Bill in VA, I've not been a big fan of the recent political threads. But the fix for me was easy - just don't read 'em! The folks I've met here are first rate. Says a lot (I think) that after selling the Tracker and having NOTHING in the garage from the Tracker family that I'm sticking around just for the quality of people.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Jim

Been a member since the beginning,Don't post as much medical problems and lots going on but I want this site to keep going....I was mad and had Rich remove me one time but I was only gone for a week so It's a great site as far as I am concerened the best..hang In there Rich...JR

I have been a member since march 2004,I post in spurts,sometimes not for a month or so, BUT, I read the board most evryday.So much good help here on any issue ,great people,which someday I would like to meet more than a few,if this site went away,a tragedy it would be.

WoW, I really don't know what to say?? Ok, I can hear a lot of snickering over that statement!:( I don't have enough computer expertise, nor do I have enough concentration to try and figure out just what technically I can do to help?? I too would be more than happy to 'subscribe' to the site and pay whatever dues Rich feels would be necessary.

I have met some really great friends, some whom I haven't even met in person, on this site! Some I have met and that just makes me feel even closer to them. This site, like Steve Rizza's, is also my home page and it truly feels like home to me when I log on here. I spent some time on another Bass fishing site and got to the point where I just couldn't stand the favoritism the owner and his cronies showed to certain people. So, when I expressed my displeasure, via e-mail to him, I was banned from the site. I have never felt that would happen here where fair play is usually the rule. I know I can get mouthy if I don't agree with something but fortunately I have NTOWS friends who will e-mail me and remind me in a friendly way, to SHUT UP!!!:D I don't want to sound maudlin, but this site is a lot of all I have to do most days! I don't know why more people don't post? I have noticed that a lot of people come on and ask their Nitro or Tracker questions and when they are answered, you never hear from them any more. I don't know what can be done about that?

I wish I did.

Uncle Billy

There is nothing that site traffic will cure, there is however a technical problem that Rich has to deal with regarding hackers. As I see it, Rich is getting tired of the recovery time from one of these dirtbags getting through the site defenses. That is why I suggested a voluntary subscription so that there is no financial burden on Rich to possibly upgrade software and release him from having to invest so much of his time. Subscription would allow picture posting etc., where non subscribers could still register, become members and post for free. I'm not savy enough to know what type of software upgrades are avaliable and how much they cost.

TOXIC

I agree,....would hate to see it go away,....but I can totally relate to Rich's frustration and lack of "time". My priorities have changed immensely over the past couple of years, and I no longer have the time or desire to do things for "free" anymore either......too many demands in other areas that require my attention and energies, and things I use to do for free or just because I loved doing it,...no longer get that attention....that's just the way it is!

Rich,....do what you have to do,...you know you can count on the support from all of us!!

Mac

I've been a member since 2001 and I too have met some great people on this site. I too would help offset the cost of software improvements to make things easier if it would save this site. I like the diverse discussions including the politics. I've had some great laughs and some times I shake my head in disbelief at what I'm reading. :D:lol:

This is like an extended family to many of us. I've had the priveledge of fishing with several members both here in Michigan and at lake Anna. Like any family we have our deranged cousins and crazy uncles. And I don't mean you Uncle Billy! :p It would be a shame to see it go and as most everyone else would do what I can to help out.

Gene

Hi Rich,

I have visited this site more than once a day since I have owned my boat (2001). This site has undoubtedly been the biggest and best resource for boating and fishing information for me as well as Miscellaneous topics ;).

I understand your situation. I would be in for a subscritpion fee if it helped to remove the time crunch for you.

Paul

I would hate to see the site go, but I would understand your reasons. I have made many friends, fished with a few new people, and have gotten great advice from people over the years. Like everyone else said, I would like to help if there is any way possible, but think the idea of people posting without having to join is nice to get new members. I also like that you don't have the total number of posts listed next to your name, it keeps the intimidation factor down. If a commercial software would help I would be glad to donate to a fund.

As a somewhat off-topic note, I would like to see some better attitudes on here and less posts go 'down the drain'. If we could have some moderators to help eliminate posts that don't contribute that would probably help. I don't like the way some posts have gone (not just the political ones) and would hate to see them affect any of your decisions. I still hate we don't have any official get-togethers anymore. I would like to have attended one of them.

I haven't been as active as I used to be, the 3 hour commute is taking time away from leisure activities. Hate to see this go away it is a good place to come when the world goes a little nutty out there.

Let me know what I can do to help Rich. I appreciate your establishing the site and running it so well these many years. This site has introduced me to so many good friends and fishing buddies. I may not be much help, but I do what I can with what bits of experience I've gathered in this business during my life. This has been my homepage since 6/01 and I check it almost daily, although I may not post. (When I'm not fishing I'm usually lurking.) I've got to say that I do post less, if at all, when someone new starts off their membership ragging incessantly, calling people that don't agree with them racists and whatever else, and proudly flaunts their ill-intentions at most every opportunity without worry of any recourse. Whatever way you decide, I'm behind you. Heck, without these headaches we might get to go fishing together more often! ;)

Dont quit Rich. Adapt.

Look into InvisionZone. I know of a few different boards that use it.

If the cost is too high, charge a one time member fee of $.50 to cover it.

Been here a long time, dont think the internet would be the same without it.

Agree Mini...you guys are brothers from another mother but, BROTHERS just the same:cool:

Hi Rich,

I have to agree with the majority. I may not post every day, but I am on this site at least 2-3 times a day keeping up with everything. This is a part of my daily life. I sure hope everything works out. If there is anything we can do please let us all know.

Thank you for all that you do!!!!

Mark

NTOWS must live on!!!

Mini had a great idea.....Invision Zone...let us pay for it, have a couple of us moderate it and help out in that regard.

Wasn't the Guns and Bullets site Invision Zone???

Ken, G&B was vBulletin, which is made by Invision. We had hacker problems there, too. If you don't keep up with server updates, the hackers find their way in. The attackers are a virus-like entity, always probing for weakness. The infected machines they control to launch their attacks work 24x7x365. It's a sad fact of life. Switching boards would probably be more work than trying to find and plug the hole, although one is a definitive project, the other is open-ended.

I'm keeping the NTOWS doors open.

Thanks for all of the supportive words and offers. If I need help, I know I can get it from this group.

You can definitely count on us Rich. Thank you.

Gene

Whatever you need, Rich, we'er here for you. If it requires financial resources to upgrade software, just ask. If it means moving to a different forum platform, we'll adapt.

Losing NTOWS would leave a HUGE hole that would be more painful than any amount of money required or time needed to learn how a new forum platform functions.

And since everyone is already so tear-jerky about this site ;) I'll just add that I think I have more friends here than any place I've lived or learned, including the college crowd. Even Facebook can't measure up to NTOWS.

If you need technical help, PM me - I've been doing this scrap for 15+ eyars and will volunteer my efforts to assist.

WHile I post rarely anymore, I visit and keep up with the goings on daily...

Thanks again for the offers of help. We had two more attacks that I was able to clean up from a bit more quickly based on the previous experience. Even better: The bad guys left a fingerprint that let me zero in on the hole. It's patched.

This battle is won. The war continues...

Rich, what exactly is the purpose of these "attacks" what do the bad guys get out of it? Why do they do it? Just wonderin......

TOXIC

TOX, in this particular case, they attempt to inject code into the web site that either delivers a virus payload to visitor PCs, or redirect to some spam site. Or both.

When it comes to this kind of activity, the list of motives are the same as other types of crime: Profit, vandalism, vengence, terror, etc.

Hi Rich, been a member since around May or June 2002, when I got my first brand new boat, still got her and she runs and looks like new....... anyway, although I check in almost daily I haven't posted much the last year or so.... but I am still out here reading, learning, etc. I just want you to know how much I appreciate what you are doing here. And I also understand why it could wear thin.....

Thank you Rich for all you do here. Mike

Back