more help please

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Earley

Reaction score
thanks for the responses on the merc vs the johnson.

does anybody think this is a deal. i have a TF170 1995 with a merc 60. i found a guy with a 1997 johnson 115 who will swap me and istall johnson for $2000.00 with a written 1 yr warranty. he is a marine shop that sells new and used. has anybody run a 115 on this boat ? what can i expect? this my option to buying a new boat.

Question: What's in it for him?

I'm not saying he's a bad guy...... It's just that he is in business to make money...... And, if I were in the business...... And if I had an older, used Johnson sitting around........ An older, used Johnson that I couldn't get rid of........ I'd do anything (almost) to dump it and get an older, used Merc - which is likely to have more salability at this time.........

I didn't go to www.nada.com to check out the values of the 2 motors....... But it doesn't sound like much of a deal in the $$$$ area either.

Ed, there is nothing wrong with a Johnson motor. They build good products. The thing is that, right now, with their recent bankruptcy and difficulty getting parts, you should be able to get one heck of a good deal on one. A lot better deal than this sounds like to me.

My suggestion: Keep looking around...... This motor is likely to be available for a long time to come.......

me!

Depending on the model of the johnnyrude i'd do it... you'll be much happier with the 115 then a 60hp on a 17ft boat, top end you should expect right arround 50mph. $2000 shounds like a pretty fair deal, not a steal, figure the rigging is gonna cost you about 400-500 alone including controls, key switch and cables, the other 1500 would be for the motor upgrade in HP.

Latest posts

Back