Milestone

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
04/22/1985. The date I got hired by the FDIC (EOD for you Gooberment goobers). Had my 28th anniversary. I see the light at the end of the tunnel....hopefully it's not a train. I've been gainfully employed since I was 13 years old. I keep telling my wife that the day I become eligible (30 years), I am out!! She just can't fathom not working (she owns her own business). I believe the day I retire is the day MY life begins!! It also made me think about the generational differences regarding retirement and working in general. My parents generation (and me to some extent) was to put in your 30 and retire with enough income to live comfortably. When I was growing up, if I wanted something I had to work for it. I am a little different in that I didn't just put in my 30, I pushed and sacrificed in my career to hopefully retire at a higher standard of living when I retire. My son (32) has a totally different outlook where living hand to mouth and no savings is just fine and my daughter at 15 doesn't have a frickin clue. I have tried my best to acclimate them to the reality of saving and retirement but it falls on deaf ears. My daughter is a little spoiled and I have started making her keep a journal of what her Equestrian "pursuits" cost but it just seems to fall on deaf ears. All to make her understand that the "Gravy Train" will soon be leaving the station and she won't be on it!!:lol:

2 years and counting:lol:

Hope if works out for ya Tox! I have >31 years in with the company I work for. We don't have a 30 year pension but do have a 401k with company matching. I'll be working until 59 1/2. I'm 52 and counting. My dad worked for Bell Telephone for 37 years and retired very well at 59. At 80, he is still very conservative. I tell him all of the time that it is ok to spend some of it and not worry about my siblings and I. My kids are in college and have been spoiled by their mom. They are in for a rude awakening very soon!

I think it's safe to say you're a short timer now! Keep your focus and stay on track. You worked long and hard to get to this point and nothing should hold you back. Retirement is as much or as little as you want to make of it. My recommendation is to take a good bit of time for yourself before committing to any secondary employment to see just how much, if any, business grind you want added to your retirement time. (I took off 16 weeks fishing all over our hemisphere before my BPS gig started in1995.) After you're rested with your mind clear you can see what you wish to dedicate your precious retirement time to, if any at all. It will be here before you know it and it sure sounds as if you've planned well for it. Just make sure you fully enjoy it. ;)

I have been retired for the last 4 years and it is the one of the best things that has have ever happened to me. No more stress, strain, attending worthless meetings and putting up with the BS that is involved with almost any job. No more dreaming or "nightmares" about the work place. That alone made my whole life a lot better and far less stressful.

My friend called me one day and asked "What are you doing?" I answered "Nothing", he said "That's what you told me the last time I talked to you" My answer was 'Yeah, but I wasn't done yet". That's one of the many advantages of retirement.

I'm lucky my wife, the warden, gave me her blessing to retire after 30 years as a prison guard. I just couldn't take anymore.

I miss my career. Twenty-four years of flying on Gunships. I was fortunate to be offered a Civil Service position supporting Sec Ops. You all and bass fishing replaced my old job.

30 years as a prison guard? WOW -

Toxic, I really enjoy retirement. I took an early retirement because of my back. I had 22 years with the city. If I took disability they would have screwed me so I took an early retirement. I also have my military retirement so I'm pretty well set. I do what I want, when I want. My wife and I cruise and travel now. There's always something to do around the house. It took awhile after I first retired before it sank in. You'll enjoy it, just give it some time.

Barry from La. :)

Best of luck. I look forward to you fishing my $hit in two years....lol

Tox

Two years will fly by. I can still remember the first day I stepped into my first classroom 36 years ago and saying "I will never make it to retirement teaching deaf children." made it. Now my "WAS" list is way longer than my "AM" list.

fatrap

Tox I retired three years ago and everyone said I would get bored. I have not had one day of boredom yet. I get to fish on the week days and not fight the weekend crowds at the lake. I pour fish weights in my days that I do not get to fish. It is a great little extra income for more fishing gear. I can mow the yard and do the honey dues when I want to and sleep as long as I want to. No one tells me what to do and how to do it anymore (except for the wife). As long as I take her to the OU football games I have he rest of the year to do all the fishing that I want to do. It is the best days of my life and I am not ready for it to end.

Like you I have tried to get my kids to save to no avail. I put my 30 years in and saved all those years to be able to have a great life and it has worked out great. Keep up the good work and you will also have the best life of you later years.

Good Luck

Mini, I do that now:lol:

With a daughter getting ready for college in 2 years. We'll see what happens. I sure am keeping my fingers crossed.

Tox,

Thats only for a week. Soon it will be for a month, then two, then three.....as long as you enter the tournaments :) I could use the money! lol

LOL Mini, That's why I quit fishing tourny's, I was tired of paying for other peoples stuff. What I did win, never equalled what I "donated". :lol:

I got lucky, my daughter never got the concept of saving either. Her husband is FULLY on board with that program much to her dismay. ;)

I'm right behind you Tox, well back a little ways.

I have a little over 11 years to go. :( All I can see is the tunnel.

Gene

Good luck Tox. Will you be staying in VA?

I'm 42 years now with NJ Bell/Bell Atlantic/Verizon so one more year should do it for me.

The dilema is where to move to..... Love fishing New England & Ontario, but the winters are cold. Going south gives you too much summer heat and your further away from where I like to fish up north, but theres good fishing to be discoved in the south.

NJ is right in the middle, but anyone on the board here from NJ knows the taxes are rough on the pocketbook here for retiree's.

Mike, they have serious winters in NJ. You still want 4 seasons you go to somewhere like Lake Guntersville. Southern Georgia, Northern Florida are also good. I have no problem not having a winter!! I fish in Michigan and Wisconsin every summer and like you really, really, like the Northern lakes better but it's not worth spending the winters there. Theoretically, you can fish Virginia year round but it is a grind in the winter and the water can get hard in a bad year. If I didn't have access to the hot side of Lake Anna, I would go crazy. My wife owns a business here and if that is the added income to let me retire then I'll be looking for a summer place up North and a Winter place down South keeping home base here in VA. $$$$ permitting!!

Latest posts

Back