Mercury Trim Switch Failure

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
Anyone else having this problem?? I have a 2011 Mercury 115hp Pro XS and have replaced the trim sender switch now 3 times. I get about 6 months out of a sender before it gets water into the unit and fails.

I've tried packing the sender with rubber grease around the outside the seal to help stop water getting in but it only slows the process a little. It appears that the seal simply allows water in to the resistor coil and thats it' game over. I mainly run slatwater which should have no bearing at all on the failure but this things are readily for sale on most websites, Ebay, Amazon, Gumtree etc so I'm guessing they sell fairly regularly.

At $60 a hit, I'm starting to get jack of this.

Last edited:
Is it a digital or analog type? I've had no issues with any of the older, analog senders. Is there a chance that the issue is where the sender connects into the harness?

RH

It's the analogue type, it's mounted to the engine between the main motor mounts. The problem is it either cracks around the housing or gets water in around the seal. i had a really good look and measured a few bits this time. It looks like what may be happening is where there actual sender engages into the rod that actuates it, is it may not be in deep enough and occasionally slips our and jambs which forces it to crack.

Latest posts

Back