Mercury Tilt Trim Switch

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Willett

Reaction score
got a 2010 Tracker with a 2010 Mercury 75hp Optimax. Came home from work the other day to hear a clicking in my motor, saw the battery was low so I figured maybe that's what was causing the issue. Plugged in the charger and came back several hours later to find the tilt/trim motor running switch apparently stuck in the down position. Got it to stop working only to come back later and find it running again. It has been about two weeks since we were on the water and never had an issue with it. Found it strange that it would come on by itself.
Anyone had a problem like this. I see Mercury has a recall on some newer motors for the tilt/trim.

Have you tried to disconnect the trim switch? the one that was stuck down. See what happens then. Usually to disconnect it is just a connector plug. Once you have eliminated that switch see if it stops. If not it could be your actual trim motor. Someone else may be able to give you some advice.

I had this happen on an old 1990 mercury motor. The switch relays went bad. I just replaced the relays and it was fine after that.

David thought I'd follow up and see what progress you made. If your boat is equipped with a BOW mounted trim switch, that is another COMMON area for short-circuits (often due to MOISTURE that is getting into the switch, or corrosion CAUSED by that moisture).

I would look at the bow mounted trim switch. I have had 2 go bad on my previous tracker.

it was the switch on the lower cowl of the motor, did some checks on it and for the reason I could not see the rocker button would not fully move to the neutral position.
Popped the cap/button off and the switch was fine. Bought another one and so far it is fine, also bought a battery disconnect switch so when I'm not using her I can turn it off, no issues anywhere.

Back