Mercury ProXS 250 very loud rattle

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airbear72

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Pro XS250 that has developed a very loud rattle. It does not sound internal engine related and only starts above 4200 rpm. A slight turn of the wheel to the right minimizes or stops the rattle. I am going to run it with the cowling off today just to see if it's related. I have checked for obvious loose parts and backed out bolts. Motor runs great at all RPMs. No loss of performance.

The rattle is loud enough that other tourney buddies can hear it when running beside me.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing it? Maybe poor fit of the cowling??

I had the same thing happen to me on the same outboard. It was a part behind the latch (that also is connected) for the cowling that needed to be replaced.

I had the same thing happen to me on the same outboard. It was a part behind the latch (that also is connected) for the cowling that needed to be replaced.
Much appreciate the reply. Are you talking about that roller on the inside of the latch arm that's connected to the cowling?

Yes, it was terrible. I know the looks you get when you are passing people lol. I ended up replacing the whole thing just to be safe.

Fixed. On the inside of the cowling there are adjustable brackets for the cowling latches. We adjusted them up as towards the top if the cowling so the roller ball in the latch was tighter once locked in. Thanks for zeroing me in on the problem.

Back