Mercury Outboard Extended Warranty

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 53570

Reaction score
Hello Nitro and Tracker Owners,

What are your thoughts on outboard extended warranties? I received the following offer from Mercury:

Platinum coverage – both mechanical & electrical coverage

1 year - $966.09

2 year - $1419.78

3 year - $1804.08

I am considering the purchase but figured I would ask from those that have owned boats longer than I have.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Make it a great day.

Hello Nitro and Tracker Owners,

What are your thoughts on outboard extended warranties? I received the following offer from Mercury:

Platinum coverage – both mechanical & electrical coverage

1 year - $966.09

2 year - $1419.78

3 year - $1804.08

I am considering the purchase but figured I would ask from those that have owned boats longer than I have.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Make it a great day.
I posted this back in 2017- Maybe some of this will help you in consideration....
Just an FYI on your new engine warranty. Be sure you notice that the Mercury Gold plan warranty, normally sold in new boat deals, does not cover electrical components. The Platinum warranty DOES cover electrical components. Once you are on the backside of the new boat/engine warranty you may want to consider paying the cost to move to the Platinum coverage with Mercury. During the first year, on my 2017 Mercury 150, the alternator failed and had to be replaced. It was covered under the new purchase warranty but that occurance prompted me to go back and upgrade so that I could extend coverage on all components out to 5 years.

I know a lot of people like the security an extended warranty provides. And in some cases, it really pays off to have one. I'm a statistician, so I tend to look at everything in mathematical terms. Generally speaking, extended warranties aren't worth it because the cost of the repair needed - if any - is almost always less than the cost of the warranty. Again, if that piece of mind is worth it to you, then go for it . . . especially considering their reasonable price.

With the sophistication of modern outboard motors, and shop labor hourly rates into triple digits, the cost of repair has gone up tremendously. Extended warranty plans are insurance policies. As JohnB states it's about mathematics. Warranty company is calculating the odds of you having a failure and you are betting that you will. I tend to be insurance poor, I plan for the worst while hoping for the best. I have had one of "those" motors before that finally blew the powerhead not long after the original warranty would have expired. I definitely got my moneys worth from the extended warranty. We just bought a new Z19 and got the top level warranty that covers the whole boat and most components for 7 years. I think it was about $2400 which is not a lot when you are paying $50k for a boat.

I just bought a new Z20. What’s the name of your 7 year warranty. I like the sound of that.

It’s actually called the premium pro plus. I’d call them directly. My dealer quoted m a price almost 1000.00 higher than what it really costs

It’s actually called the premium pro plus. I’d call them directly. My dealer quoted m a price almost 1000.00 higher than what it really costs
That's pretty low. Did they not provide you with the Mercury-issued brochure? Mine had pricing laid out for all of the plan options, so there was no real way for my dealer to pad the cost. At least you caught it before signing up. Just think of how many poor folks they fleeced.

Latest posts

Back