Mercury 60hp 2-stroke parts identify

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess Yaj

Reaction score
Hello , we'll cut to the chased...while out fishing for salmon on my nitro bass boat...I pulled in reverse and it will just slip...then pulled in forward and it'll proceed...I open up the cowl to take a look and noticed the clamp that holds the reverse cable in place snap in half...now I'm trying to locate that parts and name...not sure what its called or what year my outboard motor is because the serial sticker been scratch off...can anyone help me out and where and what's to locate and name please...

without knowing your serial number, its gonna be tough. Don't you have any paperwork showing the serial number of that motor? But look here and see if you see your part on the diagram

11A.png

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/60/1916139 THRU 2529894/SHIFT CONTROL LINKAGE/parts.html#

I believe you are describing your shift cable lock or "barrel snap" as commonly referred to by riggers and mechanics in the industry. It's a black plastic two piece lock that snaps onto the cable effectively locking it into position for the shifter to actuate. (See top right corner of pic attached.) Any Merc dealer should have a handful in a box to sell a couple for a few bucks, tops. (It's good to keep a spare on board.) They do break on occasion, but are easily replaced. Good luck! ;)

image.jpg

It's about 2inches wide square type that holds onto the end of the reverse cable in order to pulled it to go in reverse...

It sounds like what you're describing was actually originally part of the cable itself. (Molded onto it.) You will most likely be needing a shift cable assembly, much like the photo I posted previously. You can get one from a dealer or online quite easily by measuring from the linkage attachment point through the rigging up to the shifter. (I advise rounding up to the next foot size when between feet noted on tape measure.) Also, since it has broken at the engine you should be able to attach the new one to the old one there and pull it through while pulling the old one out. Good luck! ;)

Thanks man...I went through all sorts of homework and it says slide but no photo to prove it that's why I'm confused...thanks big time again....I wonder if they would ever built this in metal

Too easy! I believe the part number is visible in the pictures: 98885-1

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/merc/M-98885 1.html

Here's one for $6.99:

http://www.shipwrecksalvage.net/mercury-98885-1-98885-shift-slide-used-p-2550.html

Looks to be called a slide or a shift slide

A picture's worth a thousand words! :D

Shift slide is it. Not a part of the control cables, but a stationary mount to hold them in place before the gear selector/throttle assemblage. Glad you got it. Good job Steve! ;)

Assuming that is not a part number, any dealer should be able to decode that number. I don't know where the ID # is on the smaller engines is but you could call or email Bob Borquet at Marine USA up in Massachusetts and he could.