Mercury 1996 75 HP outboard prop?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyjoe

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1996 75 hp Mercury and installing on my boat. It had a stainless steel 13 3/4 X 15 prop on it. The boat is a 2004 Tracker Targa V 16. Is this the correct prop for this application?

How does it perform? Is it sluggish getting on plane? Do you redline it at wide open throttle?

Too many variables to say definitively with the info you gave. I would run it with your normal load out and see if it planes well or is not getting high enough rpms at wide open throttle- less pitch. Also does the motor turn too fast, then you may need more pitch.

Its sluggish takes a bit to come up on plane, top speed 23 mph,motor not over revving. I was told by a local shop I call ,It should have a 13.75x13 prop on it. Does that souund right?

Its sluggish takes a bit to come up on plane, top speed 23 mph,motor not over revving. I was told by a local shop I call ,It should have a 13.75x13 prop on it. Does that souund right?
Seems a little slow top end. Had a 2005 16 1/2 ft Crestliner with a 75hp mercury motor. Would run about 35 mph gps. Looked very similar to your boat.

Not to sound like I am not answering your question, what is the rpm range your motor is supposed to operate in at WOT? For instance 5200-5500. If you are at 5500 already going to lower pitch prop is probably not smart. If you are closer to 5200 that may be the right move.

Also your motor height may be too low and moving up a hole or two may improve your plane time and top end speed. What is the vertical distance from the pad of.your boat to the center line of the prop shaft with your motor leveled? See Below.

If it were mine I would start with motor height. Props can be expensive. Moving it up is cheap.

There are others on the site who know a ton more than me. Hopefully they will be along to add their advice.

Attach0_20220809_185336.jpg

My boat is very similar, On my 75 Merc I run a 13.25X15 Black Max. Loaded with 2 grown men,full fuel, all our gear, I gain a top speed WOT GPS indicated 35 MPH. I have a excellent hole shot. I had a 2000 90 hp Merc and it was a absolute screamer. Sounds like you have:
1. a dead cylinder....check your coils and spark plugs
2. one or more carbs are dirty and require cleaning
3. Your fuel system has a obstruction to fuel flow, replace the fuel filter(s), fuel line and bulb
4. Your stator is fixen to crap out on you
5. Motor height?
There is no way your rig should only be gettering you 23 MPH, those 3 cyl motors were built to produce power and high RPM.

So after 4 prop changes,the Tracker boat guy told me when the boats came with a 75 hp Mercury the prop size was 13X19. And that is correct. She cruised at 38 at 4280 rpm's and I had a little more throttle.

Sounds about right now. Had the 75hp motor for 14 years and it was flawless. Enjoy

Latest posts

Back