mercury 150 trim probs ....help !!!.............toxic if you read please help !!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul white2

Reaction score
i have been having trouble with the 4000 rpm's on my boat and i talked to a ranger dealer today and i think ive found out the problem, but what do i do to fix it?? when i mesntioned the 4400-46-- rpm and 55 mph, first thing he asked is how far up on the gauge is your trip??? the gauge has 5 marks on it. and now i do rem when i first got the boat it would trim up as far at wot as you trimmed it !! ok here lately when im running wot it will only go up to the middle of the first and secone mark and stops, will not go farther. of last year i had it trimmed up to the middle mark !! so what in the heck is causing my trim to not trim up past 1st mark?? the dealer said if i was running down the lake wot and held trim button in the motor wud go all the way up like when out of the water and the prop wud be stickin out !!! ok my trim will go nowhere pastr the middle of 1st and 2nd mark and thats all it will do. so, its not trimmed up enuf to get the 5000 rpm's and the 60-62 mph. i have been looking at the trim motor hrs this evening and i noticed there's a lil white button on the left side kinda rigid. i unloosened thit and some liquid that was maroon ran out. there was maybe an inc in a coffee cup and thats all !! what is this fluid called?? how much shud it hold?? how do i refill it?? and does this pressure make the silver rods that stick out come out?? if it was low on this maroon looking fluid would this keep the trim from goin on up?? i mean whass the fluid called and how much and how do i put it back in?? and does it control the distance the 2 silver rods extend out?? if so, then it bound to be low on the fluid and cnt build enuf pressure to trim the motor on up to where it needs to be. i have been wonderin what happ and why it stopped trimming up hardly any. the dealer said this is prob my prob. but my motor is locked in the up position now and has no fluid in it, so what do i do now?? and, it it was low on this fluid where did it go to, ive nvr noticed any leaks, etc. so where wud the fluid go?? and what came out may have tops filled a cup 1 1/2 inches......looks like to me it shud hold more. will sum1 explain this to me and tell me what the fluid is called and how to fix it??? i drained the maroon looking fluid all out of the white cap, so how do i refill it?? do y'all think this is my prob, cuz my motor trime barely past the first mark, and the dealer said it shud trim up as long as you hold the button in !!!! any help is appreciated please. cuz until i find out what the fluid is and get it back in it i cnt use the boat, and i know nutin bout these trim motors or hydraulics at all. thnxxxx and please help

Ok, first...

Forget about the trim gauge. I hate them. They're not accurate at all and prone to failure. Your motor has hydraulic / mechanically controlled trim range. It will NOT "trim" past the two, short trim pistons once fully extended, under a load. After about 2000rpm in gear, under a load, the tilt piston pressure is not enough to allow further trim. When checking fluid, the motor must be all the way "up", supported by the tilt / mooring bracket, and the system filled with "power trim and steering fluid". 20wt non-detergent would work in a pinch. After filled, the system is self bleeding and a few cycles through the full range should purge any air. If you want to adjust the gauge, you do that via the sending unit, on the motor swivel bracket. Your rpm loss sounds like it may be because it was low on fluid, not allowing complete trim. ;)

HELLO.....THANK YOU MUCH. THE TRIM AND POWER STEERING FLUID, HOW DO I PUT IT IN THERE AND WHAT WITH, AND HOW MUCH DOES IT HOLD AQPP.??? BECAUSE WHEN I DRAINED IT ALL OUT, I BET ALTOGETHER THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN AN INCH IN A COFFEE CUP. I MEAN HARDLY NUTIN CAME OUT OF THERE. SO I THOUGHT BOUT THAT MYSELF AFTER LOOING AND STUDYING IT AWHILE. SO LET ME KNOW WHERE AND HOW TO ADD THE NEW FLUID AND HOW MUCH IT HOLDS AND IT THEN SHOULD HAVE MORE PRESSURE TO PUSH THEM OUT RIGHT?? PAUL

You put it in through the yellow or white cap, when the tilt is fully "up", as stated. It holds about a pint......;)

thank you much toxic i fig all this but i had to make sure. thnxx for ALL YOUR HELP BUDDY MAYBE 1 DAY ILL FIGURE A BOAT OUT, THIS IS MY FIRST MAJOR BT, IVE ONLY HAD A PRO-18 BEFORE AND NUTIN WAS EVER WRONG WITH IT.......THNXXX ALOT SIR......PAUL

Latest posts

Back