Man did I marry a winner!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well, last night while working out the details of the new home my wife took me in the living room to.......relax fellas, talk! Given the top of the line home we had picked, taxes, ins etc would put us at a mortgage comparable to a stickbuilt $150k home. She looks right at me and says, "I've been thinking." For any married man, danger is right around the corner from those words, don't plan on sleeping for hours! LOL Anyway she went on to say that by getting this house we would stretch ourselves as to not allow me to fully chase pro tourneys this year and all my guiding would be to pay the bills rather than reinvest to grow the business. She realized I was making a huge sacrifice but being the dynamic woman she is, wouldn't let me do it! She said "Get the boat you need to fish tourneys and guide full time. Get the big one, with a 225!" What a woman. Then she says, "Get a website on ESPN and list with the chamber of commerce so you can fish full time" I was getting euphoric! I love it when she talks that way to me! LOL She basically said I've got 3-4 years to make this fly. She will get a part time job once the baby is in school for the benefits and little steady income and I need to pull in twice what I am now guiding. At full time, that's no problem, I'll make 3 times what I do now. This is it folks, she has seen the light and knows there is some security and money in it, more so than a JOB! I promised her some upgrades on the house in return and WHEN I win a national championship, will buy her the house of her dreams, no expense spared! She took me by total surprise. I know her mom will give us flack, but that's what mother-in-laws do! Michelle will pipe her down. I'm but one major tourney win away from solidifying my full time career in fishing. I plan on that win being this years Everstart on Champlain in September. So say a prayer for us please folks, and keep your fingers crossed when I launch and when I weigh in, cause Daddy's got a brand new bag! AND BOAT! YEEEEEHAAAAAA!

NICE!!! Man, I wish that woman would teach some seminars. My girlfriend could could it.

Whatcha gonna get?...............sa

Haven't committed yet, but I have a couple of months to shop around. Stealth is dragging their feet. Not a good sign to me. I called 2 dealers down state and had a $5k difference? You can tell their not Nitros! They don't waver on price anywhere! To be honest I'm thinking of looking at the Gamblers now, also Ranger, maybeee a Triton, but probably not. Javelin if I like what I see and feel in the ride. Brands I have ruled out are Stratos (squirrely ride), Skeeter, (too rough a ride), Champion (financial uncertainty). So keep your eyes open fellas, I'm planning on some road trips this winter with Buzz as we both buy new rigs! Watch out LCI trail, these boys are coming armed to the tooth!

Rob,

Champion is now owned by the biggest boatbuilder in the world, Genmar. Irwin Jacobs, you know that name, owns Genmar.

Mini

No kidding! Irwin bought Champion? Well then, Champion is definately back in the running. Think they'll make them an official FLW co-sponsor?

They have priority entry along with Stratos & Javelin. Ranger guys enter first, then Champion, Stratos and Javelin.

BTW forgot ask.....does your wife have a sister??? lol

Congrats.

Mini

What a women! You're certainly one lucky man. Good luck with your boat choice, tough decision.

Let me know if you need help with the website, I'll be a certified Webmaster by the first of the year.

Procraft?

And do you plan to fish the Foxwoods tour also?

Rob Chck out the some of the websites that sell tickets for new boas. You know. the ones that the pros try to unload from there winnings. Joe Thomas also has some and also has Pro demo boats

Mini, she does, but the sister is a nightmare. Body piercing, tatoo artist, leopard skin tight pants and black eye makeup kind of chick! A real basket case.

Bruce, thanks I might take you up on it. But I'm not sure it's worth the investment. Most of my biz has come from shows and word of mouth.

Toxic and Jon, do you guys have sites? If so, do they generate enough business to warrant them? I have talked to other guides and the general consensus is that there are say 150,000 other sites out there just like yours. How do you get people to yours? I will do the chamber of commerce and maybe list my service on a couple of sites like BFHP, and Maybe ESPN, but just a listing not a site. Then do all the winter shows I can and maybe put a small add in the back of a few magazines. Once I get a big client base started I won't need to advertise and will likely have to hire some guides for staff. I know it can me done. At that point I will get a lodge with cabins. The lodge will be the missuz dream house. Then if you come to visit, y'all can come on up to the big house see! LOL Of course I really would appreciate any advertising you folks here can do for me! You will always have a spot to crash in upstate NY and water to fish if I'm not booked. For the bird side, I intend to advertise in Wingshooter magazine and the Ruffed grouse society. Between all of the that and say 6 or 7 trade shows a winter, I will have all the business I can handle very quickly. Now to get a 20 foot perfect guide boat. Toxic, if you're serious, e-mail me a price on your 929. But to be brutally honest, I am leaning towards a Genmar boat for first entry into the 'Starts and the Ranger cup, etc. It may not seem fair, but that's just the way it is. You gotta play by their rules in their sandbox!

Oh and guys with a boat loan. What kind of interest rate are you getting? I normally pay cash for my boats but don't have $30k lying around this time. So I will put 20-30% down and finance the rest. What are the normal length of loans. 5 years? I heard one bank does 7 years? Why so long? I went to the build a boat on the Tracker site and could not get an 896 with a 200 efi. You could get a 175 efi or 200 opti but not a 200 efi. What gives?

You can get a 200efi on the 896, however, they are not building that model for 2003. They are making an 898 with non-skid floors instead of carpet.

Rob - Typical boat loans are (at least down south) 10 years!! I know, why so long?? Heck I financed 9K on my Tracker and the BEST rate by far was going 10 years, on a simple interest loan with NO pre payment penalties. I think the Why So Long is A) to get folks INTO 30K+ boats who would NEVER be able to handle $800/month on a 4-5 year loan. And since boats last soo long, they can Repo it if necessary and still sell it at a profit! Best bet is to try your bank/credit union and on-line banking sources. Heck we got the best deal on my last car loan from a web-bank - they beat the dealer and credit unions.

Rob,

I won't know till the 1st of the year whether or not I'm gonna let mine go. I'm a little conflicted about doing that deal anyway, it would be just my luck to sell you the boat and have the power head go or something like that. I would feel like a piece of crap!! Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and buy NEW. I know it would be tough but make sure you look at all the factors, financing is better on new-warranty is better on new--equipment is NEW on NEW and so on. Look at the sponsor boat wrap too ($2500 is not that bad). I'll bet you are so excited you are wetting on the carpet. Oh wait, you do that already.....and as for that crack I made about your wife, I was mistaken....it was her sister....LOL

Oh yeah, I do have a website with my partner he keeps it. I mainly contribute to the "fishing report" and may get involved more later on but ours is set up to link our sponsors (on-line store type of thing). Sponsors love to see that. We've got an on-line newsletter and our Bio's etc.

TOXIC

Well Toxic what's the URL??? Gotta read your Bio so we know the WHOLE Toxic story!!!

anything under 9% would be great! Bank of America is at 7.5% now I think. Also you can extend the note as long as 120 months if you want! I did mine for 36 months, it helps keep you in a good trade possition by going shorter term.

Good luck... sounds like you have a great wife!

15 years?????? Holy $&%# Neeley, I'm NOT buying the house, I'm buying a boat! LOL I'm thinking like 5 years, and usually the shorter the term, the better the rate.

Rob, a suggestion:

Start an S corporation (costs about $100). Open a bank account in the corporation's name. Write a business plan. Get in touch with the Small Business Administration (www.sba.gov) and try to arrange a loan with which to buy your boat and pay other startup expenses. You'll be an excellent candidate because the startup costs are not huge, and a new boat makes reasonably good collateral. If you get the loan, it will be at a low rate. It will be by a local bank, who will underwrite the loan for the SBA (the SBA doesn't actually loan the money, they just partially guarantee the loan for the local bank that represents them).

Everything, and I mean everything, associated with the business should go through that bank account, including the boat, and it is all tax deductable for your situation. The boat can be depreciated on your tax return. You will probably spend a five hundred bucks a year for a CPA to do your taxes, but you will save thousands of dollars a year in expenses.

Rich has excellent advise there.

The other point that I would make is this: work off the other guy's money, not yours. Keep your down payment as low as possible, and still be able to get a good rate. You will need your cash as a safety net, and for other things that pop up along the way. A great many businesses fail because they don't have enough CASH, to keep them going.

Famous lines heard at bankruptcy court: 'If I just had another $3500.00 . . . .' Been there, done that. Said the line and visited bankruptcy court.

Tex

I already do that Rich. Thanks. My biz is inc. and the name trade marked. But switching from North Country Tours to North Country Bass & Birds. Kept getting calls from newly weds wanting trips to the Carribean and retirement homes wanting bus tours for leaf peeping! LOL They think I'm a travel agent tour guide. I do right off everything for the biz, taking a loss this year with the rebuilds. My accountant actually only charges me $250 a year. Until the first time I get audited! LOL Did you know that guide services were the #1 audited business? So many right offs and so much income under the table. I am in the process of writing up a business plan to bring to some local investors to see if I can't make a huge guide service lodge/resort. We will pick clients up at the airport in a 35 foot loaded motor coach complete with a 25" TV and wetbar for the ride to the ranch. At the lodge there will be a 9 hole course and driving range for after dinner. A pool, a game room with pool table and big screen TV, fireplace, etc. All in post and beam construction. A large dining hall for all clients to gather and eat, BS and make merry! LOL A staff of well trained pro guides on Champlain and on 2,000 acres of leased bird land. It can be done. It's just a matter of convincing the investors to put up the money and it's a LOT!

There's nothing quite like a woman who BELIEVES in you, is there?? Good for you! :)

Right now the crdit unions are giving extremely low rates. They are so good, that I went in and refinanced my truck. Now I save $1,500 overall, and $50 per month.

I agree with the short term loans if done as a personal loan, and with a good down payment, most dealers will give much better deals. And many will give further discounts to guides.

Rob,

Couple of thoughts for ya. 1) Congrats, 2) Websites are good PR they are like a home base, especially for a business that really does not have a shop. However, you really need to know how they work. Hire to put it toghether is one thing, but they are not maintenance free, and to have somebody take care of that regularly could be a big expense you don

Rob those are some great rates... Well anything would be great compared to mine.. But then again I'm only 22, (23 on Halloween).

Good luck man! I love reading about anything related to tourney fishin..

Rob- that's awesome. Full Steam ahead!!! I want to come up and fish with you and support your new endeavor! Keep us posted.

Pierre, I would but see my other posts. Nitro will not give me a warranty. I can't afford that! But I'm not sure the website thing is worth the money. A lot of guides I've talked to had them for a year or two and then stopped. It didn't get enough traffic or generate enough business to offset the expense. I think I'm better off using outdoor shows and slicks at tackle shops. And I do know Nitro's inside and out, but boats is boats. Once you understand hydrodynamics, transoms, stringers, chines, basic glass, and outboards, they're all pretty much the same with only brand trait differences, like Skeeters knee brace support for the transom etc. If somebody at Tracker could promise me in writing that they wouldn't try to cancel my warranty again, then I would consider it, but I'm not going through that hassle again on a new boat and $25k! In fact many of the other companies give guide INCENTIVE programs because guides can generate so much business for them and trade boats so often. Once I get into this new boat (and who knows it might be a 2 year old used, but new to me) I will likely be trading every 2 years. I'm a young guy, you do the math, that's a LOT of boats in my lifetime. To me it's just not smart business to alienate a massive part of your market by being "in your face" about having no warranty. Would you go spend $35k on a SUV if there was no warranty? And on the new water thing, don't be mistaken thinking I only fish Champlain, I fish all over NY and do well just about everywhere I go....with the exception of the St Lawrence. Never could figure that water out. Never plucked more than a 12 lb bag out of there. I have trips planned to prefish the entire 'start schedule this year with some extra trips to Santee Cooper/Murray, and Lanier too!

Rob,

maybe the best thing to do is find a good reputable dealer to help you out....Let me know what waters you'll be fishing next year I could help....St-Lawrence included!!

Pierre

Thanks, I don't know WHAT my problem is out there. I know it's a good fishery and I would think it would fish like Lake George with the gin clear water, colder temps, smallies, rocks/reefs and islands, but NOPE! But I never ran all the way out to the lake. Maybe I need to try that. There was just so much good looking structure in the river I didn't feel I needed to, UNTIL I couldn't boat anything over a couple pounds. I did SEE some nice fish, but couldn't get them to bite. I will take you up on you offer. As for the dealer, not any around I want to deal with and if the mfr doesn't offer a warranty you can bet the dealer sure isn't going to out of pocket the repairs. Sorry dude, my mind is pretty well made up. Hate to abandon ship but I need to go where I get the best bang for my buck. Isn't that why everybody comes to Nitro? Once they get their head straight about guides and warranties maybe, but not until. If they wanted to give me a free boat...SURE! But I don't see that happening either. LOL Hey you want to try Black lake with me next year? I hear it's great, but never been.

Rob you BETTER plan on stopping in Virginia if you head South to some of our good Southern lakes. I can offer a free night (or 2) and if you have the time we can wet some lines. I'm warnin' you (and anyone else from this board) if you don't look me up when you are here I will put the Toxic chickenfoot curse on you. You think yer nekid snow dance is bad, you ain't seen nuthin my friend. Besides, I can BBQ better than you.........

TOXIC

Can NOT! Oh YEAH? Well, my dog can run faster than your dog!

AND.....I can drink more beer.....well, maybe not more but I can fall down faster.....You better not talk about my dog, especially if you plan on staying with me..remember, I told you I taught him a few tricks and he does take after his master. Hint: ever hear the Jerry Lee Lewis song...Great Balls of Fire? You don't mess with the boys in my house!!

TOXIC

OH yeah? well.......My boat is closer to an antique than yours!

Quit eggin me on.....you think I'm a idgit.......LOL By the way, I'm only gonna tell you this once....Go to NITRO find out if there are any spots on you State NITRO team and then get a boat, any boat, 901---929---rigged any way you want and then get a new one next year (if you are still on the state team). They require appearances and seminars at shows and some other things but....I think you can handle it. You gotta know about the team deals dontcha?

TOXIC

YESSSS!!! For cryin out loud I DO! But I don't want to deal with the dealer in VT, and I've seen too many NEW boats have problems their first season that went back under warranty. I WON'T have a warranty per Tracker corporate since I'm a guide. I don't take well to companies taking my money and spitting in my face! So NO, unless somebody puts in writing that they will honor my warranty, and I won't be out a boat for 4 months when something goes, then I WON'T be buying a Nitro! There I said it! Think what you will, but I'M the one making the payments, and I want a rig with no left over stuff in the bilge, a company that will return my calls, and for God's SAKE a WARRRRRRRAAAAANTYYYYY!!!!!! You can't tell me that just because it's new and $30,000+ it won't break. Our local Federation prez is state team and he has had to replace 2 929 hulls and 3 poweheads on opti's. He lost ALL of his guide season last year and 90% of his tourney season. I fish one level more competitive than he does and guide twice as often, I CANNOT and WILL NOT take that chance. Now don't anybody go jumping down my throat because I'm not bashing anything. Stating problems that I have had myself in the past and keep showing themselves to me continually in folks I know. I have been subtly trying to hint to this for a LONG time, but nobody listened. I love this board and love BPS. I think Tracker is working on things and has come a LONG way, but still have a little bit further to go. And as long as it MY money, and they say "sorry Mr. LaMoy but you guide service voids your warranty", then I'm taking my $$$ and going across town. Sorry, there it is!

You state team dealer must be an a$$ because on our state team (through a dealer) you don't make retail payments....maybe we just got a sweet deal. And I don't blame ya for wanting problems fixed but I'm cloudy as to why you can't go to another dealer.....and obviously get a better deal (and warranty) I'm almost positive it's a dealer problem because I have been in contact with Tracker and since I bought my boat this year (From a State Team Member) I don't get his LIFETIME hull warranty, only 6 years. I don't think you are getting the whole story.....just tryin to help brother....decide as you will but make sure you have all of the facts..

TOXIC

Toxic,...Your dealer doesn't make you make payments?? Do you have a 1 yr delayed billing program?,..meaning,..do you have to buy your boat if you don't sell it after the 1st year??....or does he put it on his floor plan and eat the cost himself,..and you order a new boat??!!Just curious!!!

Mac

Toxic, that came directly from the northeast regional customer service manager at Tracker. She told me point blank on the phone, as did Mr. Long until I had contact the BBB, attorney general etc. I don't feel I should have to go through that process to get a defect fixed. If the attitude is caveat emptor (buyer beware) then I'm BEWARING! I learned my lesson once, I don't intend to make the same mistake twice. Like I said, if they faxed me a guaranteed warranty, then that would change a lot of things, but if they're not budging, neither am I. There might very well be a lot of other buyers out there, but there are equally a lot of other boat mfrs! I don't mind doing shows and seminars or other appearances but loyalty has to go both ways.

Greg, I e-mailed Basscat yesterday. Nice rigs. So many boats to choose from, so little time and money! LOL

(Shhh! Let's see how many different colors Rob's face will turn!)

Rob,

But why won't you stick with Tracker/Nitro?

Rich D

Rob,

FYI, The Marine Collection in VT is under new ownership and have some new mechanics. They also relocated to a new and bigger facility next to the old one.

Bob G.

Mac

1yr gratis--you then sell or buy. I bought my partners to help him out and hopefully will be getting a team boat next year.....still negotiating.

TOXIC

Bob, I know. Those are the guys I DON'T want to deal with. The last owners were great, the new ones were the one's I said don't want to deal with "bassboat guys" (their words) because we're too demanding when our boats are broken. DUUUUH!!!!!!Gee sparky, ya think? Lemme see, I have a $300 a month boat payment, a BRAND new boat that's been gone for months with no resolution in sight and you think I need to be a little MORE patient? Again, how many car dealers or mfrs would last if they ran their business that way. Can you imagine Scott telling Bubba....."Sorry Bubba, you don't get a warranty on this $150K truck because it's for commercial use, over the road, and that voids the warranty. But you still want to buy it right?" He'd starve to death in a month.

Toxic, best of luck on the deal. The local state team deal here isn't like that. At least not for the half dozen guys I know.

Hey, regardless of what I drive, you will all, always still be considered friends, and welcome to my trashy trailer and kickin bass fishery anytime. I may be less visible here (I know many will be thankful) but I'll peek in from time to time. And y'all know where I'm at and my e-mail. Toxic, I might be coming to VA to get a boat, so we'll test her on YOUR water and you better go light on the bean dip the night before. Don't want any Toxic episodes in my new rig! LOL

Man Tox,...if that doesn't sound like a need to "refuel" I don't know what does!!!...You better marinate yourself in pickled eggs, sauerkraut and Heinekens before LaMoy shows up.......he's sounding like he's daring you to oblige!! LOL

Ha, Ha,

I'll give him a break Mac. I'll just feed all of that to the dog, that way when he's asleep at night............

TOXIC

Hey, your dog can't throw anything my way that my nasty hound hasn't already. I feed him hi-pro and man can you tell! He's slick too, sneaks right up under the couch when you're not looking leaving his arse just towards the outside while you lay down to watch a game with your unsuspecting face only inches away......and then silently he lets a bomb go that could kill a 3rd world nation, usually right about the time you open your mouth to take a bite of nachos! I swear my dog can laugh! Through the fit of tears and gasping for useable air, I could see him under there cracking up! BAD dog!

Leave it to the frenchman to think of hump happy hounds! LOL Pierre, you shoulda never got rid of your boat! LOL

i didn't....no one wants it, si I guess I'll keep it!! I'm fishing Sunday, it's been about a month!!

Pierre

LOL!!!

Rob, you got it perfect!! Anybody that's ever owned a hi-pro fed pooch KNOWS what I'm talkin about!!! Couldn't have explained it better...... although there is one secret ingredient tha my dog adds to the mix and IT'S KILLER!! He will disappear into the forest and come back after he has a healthy meal of deer poop. He doesn't roll in it like most but he eats it like candy. Talk about clear a room. He can peel paint off the ceiling. He'll burn out your nasal hair and scorch your lungs!!

TOXIC

http://www.curtlytle.com/

....one of the local fellers has his Ranger for sale....I might be persuaded to tow it up for you too. said Huck

Curt's boat? He was just here in Sept and I sat in it while we talked. Single console 518 right? Super nice guy, but I'm leary of buying a pro boat because I know what they put it through in just a year!

Latest posts

Back