Maiden Voyage:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
Well I took the 1997 896 with a 200 HP Merc out today for the first time and it prompts me to ask a question. When I tried to keep the boat under 30mph after getting it to plane it appeared to me that the bow was riding high in the sky. I tried to trim the motor in both directions and that didn't appear to help much. Is there something that I'm doing wrong as I'm totally new to this. Once the boat got on plane it would ride grest providing I had the boat at 30 mph or better, but being new to speed I want to learn as I go as they say, and I would feel more comfortable at a slower mph while learning but it seemed that the boat wanted to ride better at a higher mph. I tried trimming the motor both up & down without much help. The water had about 18" waves and I don't know if this played a part in it or not. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I also enrolled in a U.S.C.G. boat safety coarse that will hopefully help me avoid rookie mistakes. Thanks

Buzz -

That's typical...... The hulls of bass boats are ment to ride ON TOP of the water - not in it. Generally, 25 to 30 mph is just that speed where the hull can't decide where it's supposed to be.

It never caused me a problem - except when navigating some of the long stretches of speed-limited intercoastal waterway in Florida. The limit was 30 mph and my boat dropped off plane at 25. But, better that I have to pay attention to what I was doing than to wipe out any manatees!

If it proves to be a continuing hassle - add a hydrofoil.

Congrats on the new ride!

me!

Buzz,
Added hydrofoil to my 97 912DC with a 225 Merc. & it is great. Had the same problem you have. I also had problems getting on plane without the bow turning completely skyward. The hydrofoil sure makes my 21 footer plane quicker, stay on plane at lower speeds & a much smoother overall ride. It may look goofy on a 225 horse but I'm certainly impressed with the results. For $40 you can't beat it.

Latest posts

Back