Maiden voyage... (kind of a long story)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marke Cicero

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I picked up my 2001 TV-18 yesterday :eek:) I went to the dealer for 12pm and we went over all the details and paperwork and stuff. Then we went over the boat. I walked out back and there she was. I still can't believe that it's mine.

The dealer walked me thru it and we went over the motor, batteries, console, live well and everything. I finally hitched it to the truck and drove it off the lot, still not believing it's real.

I hurried home and starded rounding up all of my stuff, rods, tackle boxes, life jackets, etc... I made one trip to the boat and went for more stuff and guess what. I locked myself out of my apartment!!!!! I had to go to the office and get spare keys...UGH!!

So now the boat's loaded and I head to the boat ramp (now about 2:30pm, clear blue skies, 75 degress, light breeze, PERFECT). I get the Merrimack river to find out they opened that Damn in Lowell, MA and the river is wicked low. The paved ramp ends with a 12 inch drop and a muddy bank on each side. I put the truck in 4 wheel and was able to angle the trailer so not fall off the drop but not get the truck in the mud at the same time. Unloading was smooth (after I pulled back out and put the plug in).

I hop in and push off and now it hits me like a ton of bricks, "I own a new boat". I just ran around the boat not knowing what to do first "should I fish?" "should I run the big motor?" I decided to break in the big motor. High idle for a little bit, drive for a little bit while varying RPM's, etc....

After a couple hours of breakin I decide to go WOT and see what she's got. I've never driven a boat with power trim and I've got to say that it is SWEET!!!! I don't know the accuracy but my speedo read 45mph and I thought I was hauln'. I can't imagine some of you guys hitting 70-80. She ran sooo smooth, no porpasing or anything. It was awesome.

I called Jill and told her to meet me at the ramp with the boys. I told her where to go and to take a right onto the dirt road after crossing the RR tracks. Well, she decides to take the right onto the 4 wheeler trail before the tracks and ends bombing thru the woods in our brand new Honda Civic. An hour later her and the boys show up at the ramp. The boys get in and all they want to do is fish. I tried to explain the break in period but at 7 and 3 they just wanna fish. So we thru out an anchor. Brandyn fish from the stern platform, Devyn from the floor and I from bow. I was really happy that the TV-18 has plenty of room for all of us. Then all of a sudden Jill decides to break the live well. Yup, she took the open/closed lever which only turns 45 degrees and decided to spin it all the way around while saying "What does this do?". Inside I just snapped, but the boat is for our enjoyment so I took a deep breath and as calm as I could I tried to explain what it was supposed to do that it doesn't do anymore. Then we forgot about and went for a drive back to the ramp (without catching any fish)

I have to say that loading on the river was a little more interesting than unloading. I got the trailer into position. I backed in real far to wet the bunks and then pulled out until the top of the fenders were just out of the water. Because of the current it took me 3 passes to on the trailer. I managed to load it my self in about 10 minutes and only got 1 of my feet wet. I don't think that's to bad for a ROOKIE...

All in all I absolutely love the boat!!!!!!!

A few bugs:
1.) All thow Jill cranked it to far around, I honestly felt that the open/close swith for the live well plug was kind of cheezy.
2.) On the way home, the cup holder blew out of the console and shattered all over the high way.
3.) Not a bug with the boat, but when they rigged the steering, while the motor is in the straight position the steering whell is upside down.

My dealer was really good, he told me that if I found anything wrong on my<

Marke, Congrats on the boat!!!! The Mack will be back to normal in a week after the plywood at the damn is replaced, until then just watch those rocks.

Cass

Congratulations Marke,

I had the same feeling when I picked up my boat, couldn't believe it was mine....

Again, congrats, be safe and enjoy!

John K.

Congratulations on the new boat! The V18 is a nice boat and I would have one now instead of my PT175 if it would have fit in my garage with the wife's car!! Nothing like having a new toy to play with.

Congrads Marke! Isn't it great that the wait is now over. I'm on my second boat and I still go out to the garage and look at it and think "this is very cool!" I hope you and your family enjoy the boat for a long time. As far as Jill breaking the button, it sounds like it was iffy to begin with. Get it fixed. Enjoy!

Mike

Congrats Marke!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on month number 2 with my TV-18 and only like it more with each trip on the water...

FYI, a couple small bugs I noticed with mine:
The mounting screws on the Hummin'bird all all stripped except for one...can only imagine it happened while trailering...some advice---a bud had to show me that you can take the display for the Hummin'bird off (squeeze the raised panel on the back while holding down on the base and pull up) stow it away while trailering to reduce the stress on the base...
I had a problem with water coming in the boat when coming off plane...it would come from the driver's side, when water would channel up under the corner cleet piece and then spray up on the back deck...A little well placed clear silicon under the plate is not visible and it stops the water from channeling...
As mentioned in an earlier post on this page, don't rely on the gas guage...mine goes from full to empty'ish' in the span of a couple gallons...
Had the exact same problem with the steering wheel not lining up...dealer fixed that one for me...its not perfect, but its not upside down like it was new...
Since there is no "glove box" in the boat, I added a leather "pouch" under the console...gives me a dry, secure and out of the sun place to put the cell phone while fishing.
No other problems...
Fished the boat hard for a week in Kentucky...had it tied up to a houseboat at night...ran like a champ all week...Was even able to avoid all the rocks in Barkley Lake (my buddy's Nitro did not fair so well)...
Let me know if I can offer any other advice-
az

Latest posts

Back