Lower unit removal ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Forston

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a '93 Mariner V-150. I removed the lower unit to replace the water pump and accidentally moved the shift shaft. By turning the drive shaft it appears it is no longer in nuetral. I have the manual but it doesnt really go into that topic. How can I get it back to neutral. My ol' 70 Rude shift shaft moved up and down to select gear. This one doesn't seem to operate the same way. I don't want to move it any more than I have so hopefully somebody has a tip for me? Thanks!

you should be able to install the lower in forward gear.

my old black max i used to drop the lower every 2 years for impeller.

i did this by putting the shift into forward gear before i start.

if you are not lined up when putting it back on just turn the prop untill the ecentrics line up while pushing it up. she'll go. oh.. make sure your battery is disconnected and there is no power to the ignition. otherwise turning the prop could and thats a very big could start the motor. (motor starting while holding prop bad) disconect battery good;)

easy peezeey lemon squeezey.:cool:

Thanks! That makes sense, the lower unit seems to be in forward so I'll just move the shifter to forward and we should be good to go. Yea the manual told me to remove all the plugs wires so she doesn't fire up while turning the prop.

Latest posts

Back