Lower Potomac Ramps

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Allen

Reaction score
Do any of you lower Potomac guys know if or when any of the ramps will be accessible down that way? I know those won't be a priority for snow removal, but thought they may get to them eventually. I'd be interested to know about the ones at Bolling AFB or Ft. Washington. I plan on hitting the Spoils Area/Wilson Bridge if the water isn't running 100 mph and muddy. Please keep an eye out and let me know. Thanks!

Scott

Scott, not sure about those ramps but you might also try Belle Haven Marina just South of Alexandria. Give them a call

phone: 703-768-0018

They canceled the Anglers Choice TX's this weekend because all the ramps are closed or snowed in.

BF

Check also Gravelly Point above Reagan National Airport. Admittedly haven't been there, but over the 14th Street bridge, the river appears clear and ice free. I will warn you that that if you don't know the area between Reagan and the Spoils, stick to the channel versus trying to maneuver across. Submerged piles and Fox Ferry's Point will take off your lower unit in a heartbeat.

J.

Wow Guys. Thanks. I had no idea any would be open with all the doom and gloom Fox News puts out about snow removal down there. I never fished the lower Potomac, but know the MD state record was caught in the Spoils a couple of years ago in January. Thought I'd give it a try real soon.

Scott

I was on Bolling today, the ramp is clear and can be used, but not much room to maneuver a trailer. The water looked fairly clean, with a lot of chop today. Rode 295 around to the inner loop, the spoils area is clear except for the bay in the back, closest to 295. It is iced over still, but not much deep water there anyway.

Like Jim in VA said, if you are not familiar with the area, take the main channel past the bridge, then go east along the southern edge of the bridge to the secondary channel on the MD side, then up to the spoils. A lot of bad areas on the north side of the bridge.

Thanks everyone. I didn't get to go this weekend because of too many "honey doos". I'm hoping the rain and snow predicted for this week won't mess things up too bad. Maybe next weekend. g8rmac, did you catch anything?

Didn't go fishing, I was at Bolling for work and went past the river to take a look. Coming over the WW today, the river looks bad. A LOT of trash, limbs, even a few whole trees floating north of the bridge. Not sure I have ever seen as much junk in the water, it looks dangerous to travel on plane right now.

I can imagine with all the melting going on. I went from having 47" of snow in my yard to about a foot on the level up here in Boonsboro. The rain we had last night didn't help things. You guys down there are on the receiving end of everything coming down river too!

Scott