Looking to upgrade

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCGreen

Reaction score
Hey all from Alabama. We are praying for you folks in Texas and Louisiana who have suffered from this devastating hurricane. I am not a tournament fisherman. I fish for the sheer joy of being outside with nature and being alive....lol. I have decided it's time to upgrade and my question to you all is: If you have $30,000 dollars to spend on an upgrade what do you think is the best bang for your buck, I don't need a lot of fancy stuff. Just basic help me find the fish. I don't need to get there fast but I don't want to paddle either. Comfort is nice and want to be proud of my boat. I and 72 years old and want to be able to fish by myself when I want to. No wrong answers her gals and guys. Just so you know I currently have a 99 Nitro 700LX with a tracker 120.

I had the same thought process a couple of years ago. For me it was a 2018 Z18, 4-stroke 150 HP, dual axle trailer. Upgraded from a 17' Champion 90 HP 2-stroke.
Looking back, I would've/should've considered a trailer tongue step, auto bilge pump, larger electronics in the dash. All things that I can still add but are a pain to install.
Vic

Attachments

• Chick10-19.jpg
    Chick10-19.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 35
Great looking boat. Thanks so much for your insight... love the color scheme...

I'm 69 and just upgraded my outfit. I had about the same money you do and the only thing on the market was Nitro that fit all of my requirements. I couldn't afford the 18 so I went with a 2019 Z17 holdover. It has the 115 four stroke. I already had the Terrova Ipilot Link and two Humminbird 7" sonar units, front has DI and the dash has SI/DI. I just had the dealer swap. Budget was a concern for me but the Z17 is a nice little boat and I love it. Sell yours and put it with th 30K and you can probably get into the 18. Good luck to you.

BC,
I can highly recomment the Z18, 150 four. I have a 2017 that I bought new at the end of 2016. It's been a great package. Get it with the tandem trailer and the front step. Go ahead and get the Minn Kota 80 Ultrex- you will love the spot lock feature. the Z18 is a very stable and comfortable boat with plenty of storage, a decent ice box and great livewell system for bait or your catch. Windshield and helm offer better than average proctection against the wind. You could actually get more for your money from a clean late model used boat- many times with lots of options already included in the price. It sounds like you wont be running a lot of hours on an engine. I've has several incredibly good fortune with several used boats in the past. That said, there is nothing like getting a brand new rig.

BC,
I can highly recomment the Z18, 150 four. I have a 2017 that I bought new at the end of 2016. It's been a great package. Get it with the tandem trailer and the front step. Go ahead and get the Minn Kota 80 Ultrex- you will love the spot lock feature. the Z18 is a very stable and comfortable boat with plenty of storage, a decent ice box and great livewell system for bait or your catch. Windshield and helm offer better than average proctection against the wind. You could actually get more for your money from a clean late model used boat- many times with lots of options already included in the price. It sounds like you wont be running a lot of hours on an engine. I've has several incredibly good fortune with several used boats in the past. That said, there is nothing like getting a brand new rig.
Thanks Larry. For sure looking at the Z18. Unfortunately haven't had good luck with used boats and have never had a new one so why not.

I'm 69 and just upgraded my outfit. I had about the same money you do and the only thing on the market was Nitro that fit all of my requirements. I couldn't afford the 18 so I went with a 2019 Z17 holdover. It has the 115 four stroke. I already had the Terrova Ipilot Link and two Humminbird 7" sonar units, front has DI and the dash has SI/DI. I just had the dealer swap. Budget was a concern for me but the Z17 is a nice little boat and I love it. Sell yours and put it with th 30K and you can probably get into the 18. Good luck to you.
I like the way you think Old Outlaw.......thanks

Latest posts

Back