Looking to buy my first bass boat............

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorDee

Reaction score
Hello all! My wife and I love to fish and we will spend our winters in Arizona and Summers in North Dakota. We are ready to buy our first boat and have been leaning toward the 2014 Tracker PRO 170. I have read good and bad things and I am very interested in your opinions.

First Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Second will you be fishing any heavy waters, i.e. big waves? I took my Nitro to Lake Erie and a number of smaller lakes in Ohio, in big waves I wished I had a V bottom. This is a good place to ask, 2 to 3 foot waves made for a rough ride for me.

cq

Thanks for the nice welcome...........we will not be fishing in heavy water; just smaller lakes in North Dakota. We're looking at the Tracker because it's a welded hull, aluminum so I can get proficient driving a boat without destroying it against stumps and bumps, and it's relatively inexpensive for the package deal. I have read that some owners experience leaks, but it's one of the most popular fishing boats sold, so.........

I have a 2013 Pro Guide V16 WT (the blue one) with a 90hp motor (the max). I have had zero problems with it so far and absolutely love it. My first advice and you will hear it from others is get the largest motor you can afford or the max rated for the boat. You will regret it if you don't. I went with the PG V16 since it will fit in the garage, and on windy days in CO the chop can get a bit large. I know it can get a bit windy in SD as well, so you may want to see what others on the local lakes think. We don't have a whole lot of bass boats on the lakes I fish and when I see them it is only on perfect days. The one thing that I dislike about the boat is the junk little $80 Lowrance fish finder they put on it. I replaced mine recently and has made a huge difference putting me on the fish. I also installed a stereo and on-board battery charger to plug in at the end of the day.

I also installed an onboard battery charger, it works really great. I was trying to minimize the amount of electronics onboard and used my phone for internet radio, weather alert, hands free phone/text (incoming), and gps with speed. The gps is not close to a standard gps but it meets my needs. I removed the rubber suction cup on my phone mount and bolted to my steering console, speakers behind the two seats and amp (about the size of two decks of card) under the steering console.

cq

Attachments

• speaker 71FAPPYdfPL__SL1500_.jpg
    speaker 71FAPPYdfPL__SL1500_.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 183
  • dock A0AW_OWMMOTDRDHDRZR_129671453874005761sHWhhXeKnP.jpg
    dock A0AW_OWMMOTDRDHDRZR_129671453874005761sHWhhXeKnP.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 192
  • amp718--S5-dAL__SL1500_.jpg
    amp718--S5-dAL__SL1500_.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 183
There is a half decent GPS app out there called "Ulysee Speedometer Pro". It is only a couple of bucks, and has many other features besides a speedo. The GPS works great and it is pretty accurate if it is stationary on the boat. I used this for trolling until I got my new electronics.

Latest posts

Back