looking for pro's or con's

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Earley

Reaction score
does any body have opinions on mercurys vs johnson motore

to be more precise the 115 hp late model 97 and newer?

Stick with the Merc's.....the company has never gone bankrupt and the service parts are readily available. I wouldn't buy any OMC products for awhile,.....not until we see what Bombadier can do with it. You'll never have to worry with a Mercury product.......just my .02cents

Mac

it all depends on what kinda R's your going to run the majority of the time... the 2+2 design idles well and runs top end well but in the midrange it's one of the roughest running engines there are. as for the V4 Johnnyrude they run well though out the RPM range,but parts if it does break down you will be waiting longer for, our turn arround on parts right now is about 2 days for Mercury and 2 weeks for OMC.

I know people with both and Must Say the V4 Design on the Johnson/Evinrude runs well and agree with running well thru the entire RPM Range. The V4 also has a Good idle quality that works well trolling. New Evinrudes are all 4 Stroke or DFI new Johnsons are Carburated 2 Strokes.

As much as I like my 115 Merc, I'd have to say the 115 Johnson of the same era is a better motor. Turns higher RPM, is smoother, has a lower profile that looks better. Both motors are tried and true, reliable designs.

I give the nod to the Merc on corporate stability, but for a popular (including parts issues), out-of-warranty motor, I don't think that counts for very much.

Scott, I can't believe you didn't pick up on the title..."looking for pro's or con's"...and tie it back to Mac and Mini and somehow throw Ken in there too. I waited long enough. Sad to see such a sharp mind go like that but I guess the age is really catching up with ya!!!!! LOL

Pro's and Con's describes Mac and Mini pretty darn good!!!

Latest posts

Back