Looking for a new depth finder

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Bradley

Reaction score
What is the best gps unit for the money? Would a lowrance hds be a good choice?

I just picked up the new lowrance elite 5 and it does a good job for the price of 539.00

I have the HDS series and am quite pleased with them. However I'm sure people with Hummingbird will tell you the same thing. It's kinda a Chevy vs Ford issue, each brand seems to have it's loyal base and each has it's good points and bad, however I must say, I have yet to see any bad with my HDS's, but have read about people who have had bad issues with them.

I'm running an 8" at the console, and a 5" up front, with the LSS all networked together and the sharing of waypoints, and transducers it's great. The 2d sonar of the Lowrance is probably the best on the market, the GPS internal antenna is a plus on the HDS, and the sidescan/downscan is a wonderful tool. It amazes me how many things I find with it every time out.

Depends on how much you wanna spend!! LOL

I've had great luck with the Humminbird units. At around $500 you are at 597CI with built in GPS and basemaps and color.

Do you simply want a GPS, or do you really want a depthfinder/gps combo?

If you are simply looking for the best GPS, hard to argue with Garmin.

If you want a combo unit (GPS/Depth Finder), I like Trepman have been fairly happy with the various HBird units that I've had in the past 3 years, combined with a Navionics card (Gold is what I have).

Tex

Latest posts

Back