locks on Z-7

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecil bray2

Reaction score
i have a 2011 z-7 am i crazy or does someone have this same problem...every lock on my boat box's can be turn and pop open by me .and my 9 year old granddauter iam not a strong guy iam 65 and have aruthis in both hands...the lock will lock but you can turn them in the lock position and they will pop open ..bass pro shop in macon ga said they have never seen this ..after an 1/2 hr of decussing this with them i got them to lock a z-7 on there shown room floor and i turn it with just a moderate bit of force and it pop open...all of the locks did it...i took the boat down to bass pro shop and they kept it 2 days and said they put new locks on it ...they look the same to me..and they all will pop open after being lock with morderate turn force applied to them...i have own ranger,skeeter,Triton,hyro sport,astroglass....non of the locks on these boats did this.....any one out there have this issue or am i superman and dont know it...:blink::blink:

My boat's lockers (lids) have a large locking barrel that is threaded. You put the lock in the hole and then thread the big plastic nut over the top. This tightens it to the door. You line up the latch where it locks then thread the big plastic nut down tight. With mine if the big nut gets loose you can turn the whole lock mechanism an unlock even though the lock itself is locked by the key.

I don't know your set up but if it's like mine tighten the plastic nut holding the mechanism in then Loctite the $#!t out of it. Loctite is handy to have in a Tracker product.

When mine was brand new 07. Most of the latches on the hatches rattled loose and fell into the bliges. Where they reside to this day. I don't lock mine anymore because the whole thing is so cheap anyone wanting to steal anything could just pull the rod box off the bulkhead. Or rip the lid off of anything. My glovebox lid's latch is all plastic and is wore out after only five years. It usually flops open and close as I traverse the lake when it's a bit rough. Duct tape is handy to have in a Tracker Product.

Tracker was like the Navy in a way. Everything there was furnished by the cheapest bidder.

While I'm at it. I have raised "Tracker" Emblems on both sides of the stern of the boat. One hot day one of them peeled right off. Used Super Glue to put them back on. Super Glue is handy to have in a Tracker product.:D

To be fair I did have a 93 Nitro for 13 years. I had ZERO....0....Problems. Had to tighten the rub rail once in a great while.

fatrap

:cool:iam about to give up on the locks..i have them all tight ..the problem is when you lock the lock you can turn the handle on the lock and it snaps open with little force...bass pro shop said the same thing ,,if some one wants in it they will get in it...my thinking is at lease make it strong enough so a 9 yr old girl cant snap it open....they said it is what it is.... guess ill take out extra insurance coverage and just live with it...

I've never seen a set of Attwood, Perko, T-H Marine, etc. PLASTIC deck lid locks that don't pop open with little effort exerted. All deck lid locks are a deterrent, not a fail-safe, and will only keep an honest man honest. Relying on the plastic deck lid locks to keep your belongings secure is a heartbreak waiting to happen. Adding a Loc-R-Bar greatly improves your deck lid security, but again is not 100% foolproof. It does give a thief a very good reason to look for another, much easier, target though. Good luck! ;)
http://www.locrbar.com/

On my '92 Nitro 180, the round lock cylinders had a flat machined into one side, and the hatches had a "D" shaped hole, so that the cylinder could not spin. Never had one problem with them. On my buddy's '09 Nitro, the lock cylinders were the same, but the hole was round. He has had the same problem that you're having. I guess it's more time consuming to have to punch a "D" shaped hole, rather than drill a round one. I guess they make more money doing it fast, rather than doing it right.

cecil I have a 2011 z7 and mine do the same exact thing. I honestly can't figure out as to why. I'm about ready to put new locks in it!

As Dyno says, it's probably because they cut around hole and not a D shape to stop this happening. Why don't you try actually taking out the whole lock, putting some industrial glue around the hole and I think that with the friction would solve your problem.

Latest posts

Back